WHAT: Southwest Series "100"Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 5 WHERE: Pikes Peak Int'l. Raceway, Fountain, Colo. 1-Mile Paved WHEN: Sunday, May 19, 2001 -- 4:30 p.m. DISTANCE: 100 Laps/100Miles POSTED AWARDS: ...
WHAT: Southwest Series "100"Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 5
WHERE: Pikes Peak Int'l. Raceway, Fountain, Colo. 1-Mile Paved
WHEN: Sunday, May 19, 2001 -- 4:30 p.m.
DISTANCE: 100 Laps/100Miles
POSTED AWARDS: $90,650
FIELD: 38 cars possible. The fastest 31 cars through time trials with two provisional starting positions (32nd & 33rd) available to the top 30 drivers in current 2002 Featherlite Southwest Series drivers point standings, who have not qualified for one of the original 31 starting positions, provided eligible drivers attempt to qualify. The 34th & 35th starting positions will be available to the highest 30 car owners in the current 2002 NFSWS point standings, who have not qualified for one of the original 31 starting positions, provided eligible owner's car added to the field is the car which was used in the official qualifying attempt or was used during an official practice period. Starting position 36th is available to top 30 drivers in current 2002 Hills Brothers All Pro Series point standings who has not qualified, Positions 37th and 38th have been established for up to one available starting position to the highest 30 drivers in current 2002 point standings in each of the following divisions; Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, RE/MAX Challenge Series who entered the event and have not qualified for one of the original 31 starting spots.
SANCTION: National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR)
PROMOTER: Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway, LLC.
Schedule of Events:
Saturday, May 18 9:00-10:30 a.m. - Practice 12:05 p.m. - Time Trials (1 Lap). All Positions 4:15-4:45 p.m. - Final Practice
Sunday, May 19 4:30 p.m. - Featherlite Southwest Series "100"
THE RACE TRACK: Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway is a 1-mile paved oval track.
Qualifying: Kenny Shepherd 5/20/00 134.173 mph 26.831 sec.
Race: 100-Laps Craig Raudman 5/20/01 81.614 mph 1 hr 13 min 31 sec.
FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES NOTES:
* M.K. Kanke holds several series records including: Most Money Won in career $343,442, Most career Top-10 finishes (94), Most career Bud Pole Awards (26), Most Career Top-5 finishes (74).
* Only six drivers have won in their first series start. Roger Avants, Jerry Bowers, Rick Carelli, Ken Schrader, Dick Trickle, and the winner of the last Featherlite Southwest Series event at Stockton 99 Speedway April 27, 2002, Ron Strmiska Jr.
* Bob Lyon, Aqua Dulce, Calif., is the iron man of the series with 183 consecutive appearances.
* Doug McCoun has the longest active streak of consecutive seasons finishing in the top 10 in the final standings. McCoun has managed top 10 finishes NINE straight years.
* The record for most different Bud Pole Award winners in a season is 13, set in 1997 and tied in 1998.
* Brandon Whitt of El Cajon, Calif. leads the Rookie-of-the-Year point standings over Steve Belletto, David Gilliland, Dan Holtz, and Jason Fensler. Whitt is 13th in the overall 2002 Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring point standings.
* 81 drivers have attempted to qualify for Featherlite Southwest Series events so far in 2002
* Several Featherlite Southwest Series drivers celebrate their birthdays in May. Scott Backman (5/29), Scott Lynch (5/14), Mark Meech (5/29), Bob McCoun (5/5), Scott Schmidt (5/31), and Ken Walter (5/8).
2001 RACE REVIEW: Craig Raudman grabbed the Bud Pole Award with a time of 26.870 and started first. Ed Hoffman got the early jump on Raudman at the green flag and led the first 36 laps before Raudman maneuvered around Hoffman on lap 36. Raudman held the point for the final 63 laps to record his second win of the season. Burney Lamar was the Rookie-of-the-Race with a 10th place finish.
2001 RACE STATS
Bud Pole: Craig Raudman 26.870/133.978mph
Time of Race: 1 hr, 13 min 31 sec
Average Speed: 81.614 mph
Margin of Victory: .415seconds
Caution Flags: Five for 36 Laps
Lap Leaders: Ed Hoffman 1-36, Craig Raudman 37-100.
There was one lead change between two drivers.
Previous FSWS Winners at Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway
2000- Ross Thompson
2001- Craig Raudman