</pre> WHAT: Phoenix "125" Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 15 of 16 WHERE: Phoenix Int'l. Raceway, Phoenix, Ariz. One-Mile Paved WHEN: Thursday, October 25, 2001 -- 3:45 p.m. MST DISTANCE: 125 Laps/125 ...
</pre> WHAT: Phoenix "125" Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 15 of 16
WHERE: Phoenix Int'l. Raceway, Phoenix, Ariz. One-Mile Paved
WHEN: Thursday, October 25, 2001 -- 3:45 p.m. MST
DISTANCE: 125 Laps/125 Miles
POSTED AWARDS: $106,550
FIELD: 42 cars possible. The fastest 34 cars through time trials with two provisional starting positions (35th & 36th) available to the top 30 drivers based on the current 2001 Featherlite Southwest Series point standings, who have not qualified for one of the original 34 starting positions, provided eligible drivers attempt to qualify. The 37th and 38th starting positions are available to the highest 30 car owners in the current 2001 Featherlite Southwest Series point standings who have not qualified for one of the original 34 starting positions. Provisional starting positions 39th and 40th are available to the highest 30 drivers in the current 2001 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series who have not qualified for one of the original 34 starting positions. Provisional position 41st is available to the top 30 drivers in the current 2001 RE/MAX Challenge Series who has not qualified for one of the original 34 positions. Provisional position 42nd is available to the top 30 drivers in the current 2001 Gatorade All Pro Series points standings who has not qualified for one of the top 34 starting positions.
SANCTION: National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR)
PROMOTER: Phoenix Speedway Corporation <pre> SCHEDULE:
Tuesday, October 23 12:00 noon Haulers enter 1:00 --5:00 p.m. Inspection
Wednesday, October 24 7:00 a.m. Registration and inspection 8:00 a.m. Mandatory Rookie Meeting 8:00 a.m. Drawing for Qualifying 10:45 a.m.- 12:45 p.m. Practice 2:00 p.m.Time Trials (2-laps) (All Positions)
Thursday, October 25 6:00 a.m. Inspection 8:00 a.m. Mandatory Driver and Crew Chief meeting 8:25 a.m. -- 8:55 a.m. Practice 3:45 p.m. Phoenix "125"
THE RACE TRACK: Phoenix Int'l Raceway is a one-mile paved oval track.
RECORDS: Driver Date Speed Time QUALIFYING: Ken Schrader 2/6/00 132.217 mph 27.228 sec. RACE: 50-laps Ken Schrader 2/1/98 126.939 mph 23 min, 38 sec RACE: 100-laps Garrett Evans 11/3/00 91.673 mph 1 hr, 5 min, 27 sec RACE: 186-laps Scott Hansen 10/31/97 97.411 mph 1 hr, 54 min, 34 sec </pre> FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES NOTES:
* Craig Raudman leads Auggie Vidovich Jr. by 229 points going into Phoenix. Raudman needs to finish 41st or better at Phoenix and start Tucson in order to clinch his first series championship.
* Craig Raudman of Bakersfield, Calif. has set the record for consecutive Bud Pole awards at five and is fast approaching Lance Hooper's 1995 mark of nine Bud Poles in a season. Raudman has eight Bud Pole Awards this season after the last event a Mesa Marin Raceway.
* Scott Brandt of Tucson, Ariz. was the FSWS Rookie-of-the-Race at Mesa Marin. Brandt finished 3rd to record his first top five finish of the season. Brandt expanded his point lead in the Rookie-of-the-Year race to four points over Burney Lamar.
* Since 1988, six drivers have multiple wins on the d-shaped oval. Scott Hansen (4), Rick Carelli (4), Ken Schrader (3), Garrett Evans (2), Dick Trickle (2), and Ron Hornaday Jr. (2).
* More than 60 cars from all of NASCAR's four Regional Late Model Touring series have pre-registered for this event including 2001 RBNWS Champion Kevin Hamlin, plus past RBNWS champions Garrett Evans and Ron Eaton. * Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company has posted award tires for all events in 2001, which include 32 tires to be distributed to eligible Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring car owners per event. <pre> Current FSWS 2001 Point Standings February 2, 2001 FSWS PIR Top 10 1. Craig Raudman 2161 1. Ken Schrader 2. Auggie Vidovich Jr. 1932 2. M.K. Kanke 3. Darrell LaMoure 1873 3. Greg Pursley 4. Bob Lyon 1758 4. Darrell LaMoure 5. Jon Nelson 1757 5. Rick Carelli 6. Nick Joanides 1734 6. Jim Inglebright 7. Jim Pettit II 1714 7. Eddy McKean 8. Eddy McKean 1661 8. Scott Brandt 9. Scott Brandt 1643 9. Auggie Vidovich Jr. 10. Burney Lamar 1591 10. Steve Smith </pre> February 4, 2001 RACE REVIEW: Ken Schrader won the Bud Pole Award with a time of 27.324 and started the event on the pole. Kanke got the jump on Schrader and led lap one, then lost the lead when a determined Schrader got the inside line on Kanke and assumed the point and would lead through lap 66. 1999 ROTY Scott Lynch then took over after pit stops and led laps 67-70. Schrader then drove past Lynch on lap 71 and would lead the rest of the way holding off a spirited challenge from Kanke.
February 4, 2001 RACE STATS
Bud Pole: Ken Schrader 27.324/131.752 mph
Time of Race: 1 hr, 22 min, 21 sec
Average Speed: 72.859 mph
Margin of Victory: .1.28 seconds
Caution Flags: Five for 33 Laps (3-12), (31-36), (66-70), (75-81), (85-89)
Lap Leaders: M.K. Kanke 1, Ken Schrader 2-66, Scott Lynch 67-70, and Schrader 71-100. Three lead changes among three drivers. <pre> Previous FSWS Winners at Phoenix Int'l Raceway 2001-Ken Schrader 2000-Garrett Evans 2000-Rick Carelli 1999-Jim Inglebright 1998-Garrett Evans 1998-Ken Schrader 1997-Scott Hansen 1997-Rick Carelli 1996-Scott Hansen 1995-Rick Carelli 1995-Scott Hansen 1994-Ron Hornaday Jr. 1994-Rick Carelli 1993-Brett Bell 1993-Scott Hansen 1992-Doug George 1992-Ken Schrader 1991-Toby Butler 1991-Ron Hornaday Jr. 1990-Dick Trickle 1989-Dick Trickle 1988-Jim Thirkettle