<pre> 2001 FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES RACE FACTS & NOTES OF INTEREST WHAT: Coors Light "125" Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 2 WHERE: Cajon Speedway, El Cajon, Calif. 3/8-Mile Paved WHEN: ...
2001 FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES
RACE FACTS & NOTES OF INTEREST
WHAT: Coors Light "125" Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 2
WHERE: Cajon Speedway, El Cajon, Calif. 3/8-Mile Paved
WHEN: Saturday, March 23, 2002 -- 9:00 p.m. PST
DISTANCE: 125 Laps/46.875 Miles
POSTED AWARDS: $35,850
FIELD: 24 cars possible. Fastest 18 cars through time trials with two (19th & 20th) provisional starting positions available to the top 30 drivers based on the final 2001 Featherlite Southwest Series point standings, who have not qualified for one of the original 18 starting positions, provided eligible drivers attempt to qualify. The 21st & 22nd provisional starting positions are available to the top 30 car owners based on the final 2001 Featherlite Southwest Series point standings, who's cars have not qualified for one of the original 18 starting positions. The 23rd & 24th starting positions will be filled by the top two (2) highest finishing drivers from the Qualifying Race, electing to transfer.
SANCTION: National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR)
PROMOTER: Cajon Plaza, Inc.
Saturday, March 23 11:00 a.m. - Registration & Inspections 12:30p.m. - Mandatory Rookie Driver's Meeting 1:30 p.m. - Drawing to determine Qualifying order 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. -- Practice 4:15 p.m. - Mandatory driver's meeting 5:00 p.m. - Time Trials (2 Laps). All positions 6:30 p.m. - Mandatory Spotters Meeting 7:00 p.m. - Trophy Dash 7:30 p.m. - Trophy Dash
THE RACE TRACK: Cajon Speedway is a 3/8-mile paved oval track.
RECORDS: Driver Date Speed Time QUALIFYING: Bruce Bechtel 6/3/00 87.771 mph 15.381 sec. RACE: 125-Laps M.K. Kanke 3/24/01 55.877 mph 50 min. 20 sec.
FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES NOTES:
* Eddy McKean enters the Coors Light "125" as the point leader as Ken Schrader, the winner at PIR last month, will not race with the series again until Sears Point in June. McKean, hopes to contend for the series title in 2002 on the strength of a fifth place in the final 2001 point standings.
* Bob Lyon, Aqua Dulce, Calif., is the iron man of the series with 236 appearances.
* Doug McCoun has the longest active streak of consecutive seasons finishing in the top 10 in the final standings. McCoun has managed top 10 finishes nine straight years.
* The record for most different Bud Pole Award winners in a season is 13, set in 1997 and tied in 1998.
* Craig Raudman, the 2001 Featherlite Southwest Series champion, will run a limited schedule during 2002.
* Five Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring races will be televised on the SPEED Channel as part of NASCAR TV's Racing Across America series.
* More than 10 Rookie -of-the-Year candidates have officially declared their intentions including local racer Brandon Whitt, Dan Holtz, Jason Allen, and Adam Andretti out of Brownsburg, Indiana.
Final FSWS 2001 Point Standings 2001 FSWS Cajon Speedway Top 10 1. Craig Raudman 1. M.K. Kanke 2. Auggie Vidovich Jr. 2. Jim Pettit II 3. Darrell LaMoure 3. Auggie Vidovich Jr. 4. Nick Joanides 4. Bob Lyon 5. Eddy McKean 5. Frank Maronski Jr. 6. Bob Lyon 6. John Baker 7. Jon Nelson 7. Burney Lamar 8. Jim Pettit II 8. Darrell LaMoure 9. Burney Lamar 9. Steve Smith 10. Doug McCoun 10. Scott Brandt
2001 RACE REVIEW: Craig Raudman won the Bud Pole Award with a time of 15.547 and started the event in the sixth position due to the invert. Jim Pettit II led the first 60 laps then lost the lead to eventual winner M.K. Kanke on lap 61. Kanke went on to lead the final 64 laps and held off a hard-charging Pettit to record his first of four wins in 2001.
2001 RACE STATS Bud Pole: Craig Raudman 15.547 seconds/86.833 mph Time of Race: 50 min, 20 seconds Average Speed: 55.877 mph Margin of Victory: 3.0 seconds Caution Flags: Six for 38 Laps Lap Leaders: Jim Pettit II 1-60, M.K. Kanke 61-100. One lead change among two drivers.
Previous FSWS Winners at Cajon Speedway 2002- 2001-M.K. Kanke 2000-Jon Nelson 1999-Craig Raudman 1998-Matt Crafton 1997-Chris Raudman 1996-Chris Raudman 1995-Craig Raudman 1994-Dale Williams 1993-M.K.Kanke 1992-Rick Carelli 1991-Rick Carelli 1990-Dan Press 1989-Dan Press 1989-Ray Hooper Jr. 1988-Roman Calczynski 1988-Troy Beebe 1987-Troy Beebe 1987-Dennis Dyer 1986-Mike Chase 1986-Roman Calczynski