WHAT: FIRECRACKER "150"Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 8 of 14 WHERE: Mesa Marin Raceway, Bakersfield, Calif. 1/2-Mile Paved WHEN: Saturday, June 29, 2002 -- 9:00 p.m. PST DISTANCE: 150 Laps/75 Miles POSTED ...
WHAT: FIRECRACKER "150"Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 8 of 14
WHERE: Mesa Marin Raceway, Bakersfield, Calif. 1/2-Mile Paved
WHEN: Saturday, June 29, 2002 -- 9:00 p.m. PST
DISTANCE: 150 Laps/75 Miles
POSTED AWARDS: $38,600
FIELD: 30 cars possible. The fastest 23 cars through time trials with two provisional starting positions (24th & 25th) available to the top 30 drivers based on the current 2002 Featherlite Southwest Series point standings, who have not qualified for one of the original 23 starting positions, provided eligible drivers attempt to qualify. The 26th and 27th starting positions are available to the highest 30 car owners in the current 2002 Featherlite Southwest Series point standings who have not qualified for one of the original 23 starting positions. Starting position 28th will be assigned to any past champion driver who participated as a driver in 2001. The 29th and 30th starting positions will be filled by the top two (2) highest finishing drivers from the Qualifying Race, electing to transfer.
SANCTION: National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR)
PROMOTER: Mesa Marin Raceway, Inc.
Saturday, June 29
1:00 p.m.-3:15 p.m. -- Practice
5:30 p.m. Time Trials (2 Laps). All positions
7:30 p.m. Trophy Dash
8:00 p.m. Qualifying Race
9:00 p.m. FIRECRACKER "150"
THE RACE TRACK: Mesa Marin Raceway is a 1/2-mile paved oval track.
RECORDS: Driver Date Speed Time
QUALIFYING: Frank Adamo 10/16/98 100.903 mph 17.839 sec.
RACE: 100-Laps Loren Kelley 6/30/90 81.743 mph 36 min. 44 sec.
FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES NOTES:
* M.K. Kanke holds the career record for most Bud Pole Awards with 27.
* Craig Raudman of Bakersfield, Calif. the 2001 Featherlite Southwest Series Champion will make his second start in 2002. Raudman is in the process of building a new race team, and will run selected events during 2002.
* Eddy McKean of Jerome, Idaho leads the 2002 season point standings after seven with one win, three top-5 and five top-10 finishes in 7 starts.
* Brandon Whitt leads Steve Belletto in the battle for the coveted Rookie-of-the-Year Award. Whitt has one top-5 and one top-10 finish in 7 starts, while Belletto has one top-5 and two top-10 finishes in 6 starts.
* Mike Chase leads 11 drivers that have multiple wins on the high banks of Mesa Marin with nine victories. M.K. Kanke has four victories and 15 top-5 finishes in 51 races held since 1987.
* Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company has posted award tires for all events in 2002, which include 32 tires to be distributed to eligible Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring car owners per event.