2002 FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES RACE FACTS & NOTES OF INTEREST WHAT: K & N Performance Filters "150" Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 6 of 14 WHERE: Irwindale Speedway, Irwindale, Calif. ...
2002 FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES RACE FACTS & NOTES OF INTEREST
WHAT: K & N Performance Filters "150"
Featherlite Southwest Series, NASCAR Touring Race No. 6 of 14
WHERE: Irwindale Speedway, Irwindale, Calif.
WHEN: Saturday, June 8, 2002 -- 8:30 p.m. PST
DISTANCE: 150 Laps/75Miles
POSTED AWARDS: $44,700
TV: Speed Channel (tape delayed)
Air Date- June 17, 2002
FIELD: 30 cars possible. The fastest 24 cars through time trials with two provisional starting positions (25th & 26th) available to the top 30 drivers based on the current 2002 Featherlite Southwest Series drivers point standings, who have not qualified for one of the original 24 starting positions, provided eligible drivers attempt to qualify. Provisional positions 27th & 28th will be available to the highest 30 car owners in the current 2002 Featherlite Southwest Series point standings who have not qualified for the event. The 29th & 30th starting positions will be filled by the top two (2) highest finishing drivers from the Qualifying Race, electing to transfer.
SANCTION: National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR)
PROMOTER: Irwindale Speedway, LLC
Saturday, June 8
1:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m. -- Practice
5:00 p.m. Time Trials (2 Laps). All positions
7:00 p.m. Trophy Dash
7:30 p.m. Qualifying Race
8:30 p.m. K&N Performance Filters "150"
THE RACE TRACK: Irwindale Speedway is a 1/2-mile paved oval track.
FEATHERLITE SOUTHWEST SERIES NOTES:
* Eddy McKean of Jerome, Idaho collected his first career Featherlite Southwest Series victory in the last series event at Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway May 19. McKean's win made it five different winners in the first five events of the season.
* Craig Raudman of Bakersfield, Calif. will make his 2002 return to the Featherlite Southwest Series at Irwindale after winning the series championship in 2001. Raudman won the September 2001 event.
* M.K. Kanke is the only driver with more than one victory at Irwindale in 8 races held since the facility opened in 1999. Kanke scored two victories in 2001.
* Drivers celebrating birthdays in June are Greg Fowler (6/2), Thomas Martin (6/4), Bob Lyon (6/6), Joe Herold (6/16), Nick Joanides (6/17), and Sean Monroe (6/24).
* Doug McCoun has the longest active streak of consecutive seasons finishing in the top 10 in the final standings. McCoun has managed top 10 finishes nine straight years.
* The record for most different Bud Pole Award winners in a season is 13, set in 1997 and tied in 1998.
* Rookie-of-the-Year candidate, Brandon Whitt, El Cajon, Calif. leads Steve Belletto by 5 points in the ROTY battle. Whitt sits 11th in the point standings while Belletto is 12th.
* Tony Toste returns to racing after more than two years away in the seat vacated by Sean Monroe. Toste finished 23rd at PPIR in his first run for Clarence Broussard in the #16 CBA Motorsports Chevrolet.