South Boston race report 2003-04-26

South Boston, Va. (April 27, 2003)-- Coors Light Late Models, 20 in all, powered up for the long 150-lap pour on April 26 on Pepsi Night at Big Daddy's South Boston Speedway. Phillip Morris ...

South Boston, Va. (April 27, 2003)-- Coors Light Late Models, 20 in all, powered up for the long 150-lap pour on April 26 on Pepsi Night at Big Daddy's South Boston Speedway. Phillip Morris #01 went door-to-door with Woody Howard #30 challenging on the outside as they neared the front straightaway to complete lap one. As Morris inched the lead, several cars made contact and funneled into a large melee. Peyton Sellers #26 came to rest backward with James Ramsey #12 sideways up on the wall. Brandon Hendrick #11 impacted Ramsey's door and Wayne Ramsey #51 also lay wasted against the wall. As clean up moved in, the red flag waved with only one lap on the board. As Ramsey's car was moved, Wade Day's #92 became visible, as his car was under Ramsey's ride. Also involved were Scott Worley #88, Terry King #55 and Joey McMurtrie #20.

After an extensive clean up, Morris led the line back to green. Timothy Peters #77 started in the back, but was able to motor into ninth by lap 10. Jimmy Mullins #75 attempted to take second on lap 13 as Morris pulled to a hefty lead. Lap 17 saw Richard Storm #07 loop his ride to bring out caution No. 2. Morris led the field with Howard, Mullins, and Dean Ward #2 trailing by lap 30, with Peters up to seventh. Peters worked under Jason Dickerson #19 on lap 48 to take his spot in the top 5. On lap 64, Ward cut a tire in a fourth-place battle with Timothy Peters. As Peters spun, the caution waved and Peters had to move to the rear of the field. Morris led at halfway with a good lead over Howard.

Peters moved back to eighth, but powered back to sixth by lap 90. Rain began to sprinkle with 100 laps on the scoreboard, as Howard started closing on Morris. Point leader Ward pulled off the track at lap 103 with mechanical problems, as Peters made a three-way battle with T.J. Majors #17 and Dickerson for fourth. Howard closed to within two car lengths as Morris began to lap cars in the top 10. On lap 114, Phillip Morris made contact with a lapped car, sending himself around and relegating his Beatty Construction Chevrolet to the rear for bringing out a caution. Howard moved to the top spot as rain began to come down with lap 118 posted. The race was soon red flagged due to the rain. After an hour-long delay, the race resumed with Morris charging his way back to the front. Despite putting up a good fight, Mullins could not overtake Howard, as the 2002 Southampton Motor Speedway champion cruised to his first victory at Big Daddy's South Boston Speedway. Morris clawed his way back to third, trailed closely by Peters and Dickerson.

Chad Mason #18 led a strong field of Sheetz Limited Sportsman cars to the stripe for a 50-lap shootout. On the start, division points leader Wayne Roach #71 went three-wide on the backstretch, sending outside pole starter Adam Barker #10 spinning in turn four. Bill Moshenek #27 cut a tire and the field had to be reset for a full-field restart. Roach was sent to the rear for causing the incident. Moshenek pitted and was back on track for the restart, surrendering his third-place starting spot.

Clear on the restart, Moshenek and Roach began to march forward, as Mason led Barker and rookie Bruce Anderson #9. Mason led the first ten laps, as Jonathan Bailey #89 worked to the top 5. Roach climbed back to ninth by lap 15. As lapped traffic became a factor, the battle for second took shape. Tommy Peregoy #2 passed Anderson and set his sights on Barker.

Just as Peregoy went for the position, Barker suddenly slowed with a mechanical problem. Roach made it a three-way battle for fifth with Bailey and Freddie Goff #15 on lap 30. Roach captured both drivers and captured fourth. Peregoy caught and passed Mason on lap 32, but Mason went right back to work, battling side-by-side for the lead on lap 35.

Mason again mounted the top spot, as Peregoy slipped on lap 36. Anderson worked in third, as Bailey took fourth from Roach on lap 40. With 10 to go, Mason led Peregoy through traffic and set sail toward the finish. Mason took his second victory of the year, followed by Peregoy, Anderson, Bailey and Goff. Roach suffered from mechanical problems and dropped off the pace in the end. Peregoy was later awarded the win, after Chad Mason failed post-race inspection.

Tommy Wooldridge #20 led from the inside of row one for the first Pure Stocks twin 30, while Scott Slagle #66 jumped to the lead from the outside on lap one. Slagle's lead was cut short with a black flag for jumping the start. Wooldridge took over, as Slagle had to sit on pit road for entering the pits from the wrong end. Donald Glass #14 closed on the leader by lap 10, as Billy Goble #18 worked his way into third.

Goble tracked down Glass and Wooldridge with five to go. Glass looked outside and Goble looked inside, as Wooldridge looked for lap cars. With three to go, Wooldridge used lap traffic to keep the lead, as Glass and Goble tried to make up ground. Give the win to Wooldridge, followed by Glass and Goble.

Goble came back in the second Pure Stock event to claim victory, as Slagle scored his first runner-up finish. Jason York took his first victory in the Southern Vintage Modifieds, holding off a charging Darryl Lacks.

Next on Big Daddy's South Boston Speedway schedule is the May 4 Crash Bash I, featuring an Enduro, Demolition Derby and Virginia Mini Cups. Gates open at noon, with racing beginning at 2 p.m. Adults pay $10, and youth 10 to 15 are $5. Children nine and under are free.

In 2003, Big Daddy's South Boston Speedway celebrates 46 years of racing excitement and affordable family entertainment. To learn more about Big Daddy's South Boston Speedway or to order tickets, call the Speedway toll-free at 1-877-440-1540, or log on to Tickets are also available via


Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series NASCAR , Stock car
Drivers Jonathan Bailey , Tommy Wooldridge , Jason York