* Tour holds fourth race in one-week span, Saturday at Caraway * Miller-Myers Rivalry Continues in Close Points Battle DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Sept. 8, 2005) -- The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour heads to Caraway Speedway, in Asheboro,...
* Tour holds fourth race in one-week span, Saturday at Caraway
* Miller-Myers Rivalry Continues in Close Points Battle
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Sept. 8, 2005) -- The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour heads to Caraway Speedway, in Asheboro, N.C., for a 150-lap race on Saturday, Sept. 10. The event marks the ninth event of the Tour's inaugural 2005 schedule, and the fourth championship points race in a week. Here is a look at the latest news and notes from around the Whelen Southern Modified Tour...
* Championship points outlook ... By winning the second half of the Twin 100-lap event held Monday at Ace Speedway in Altamahaw, N.C., Junior Miller maintained his lead in the championship point standings. Miller, of Pine Hall, N.C., leads Burt Myers, of Walnut Cove, N.C., by a four-point margin (1,262-1,258). Brian Loftin is third, 90 points back; Tim Brown is ranked fourth, 99 points out of first place.
* Tour leaders ... a closer look at statistical leaders from the first eight races of the Whelen Southern Modified Tour:
Points: Junior Miller, 1,262
Money Won: Burt Myers, $10,830
Laps Led: Burt Myers, 436
Wins: Burt Myers, 3
Poles: Burt Myers, 3; Jay Hedgecock, 3
Top-five finishes: three drivers with five -- Miller, Myers, Loftin
Top-10 finishes: Junior Miller, 10
Races Led: Burt Myers, 5
* On the right track ... Saturday's event at Caraway Speedway is the fifth appearance for the Whelen Southern Modified Tour at the .455-mile track this season. In the previous four events, four different drivers have won races (Ted Christopher, Myers, Miller and Loftin) while Jay Hedgecock won the Bud Pole Award three times.
* Driver update ... Twenty-nine different drivers have competed on the Whelen Southern Modified Tour in its inaugural season, representing five different states (Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina and Virginia). Twelve drivers -- Miller, Myers, Loftin, Brown, Michael Clifton, Jay Foley, Alex Hoag, Jay Hedgecock, Bobby Hutchens, Frank Fleming, Gene Pack and Brian Pack -- have started all eight events thus far.
* Saturday schedule ... Registration opens 1:00 p.m., Practice 4:00-4:45 p.m., Bud Pole qualifying time trials 6:20 p.m., NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour 150 8:00 p.m.
* Up Next ... The Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to Caraway Speedway in two weeks, for its sixth and final 2005 appearance at the track, on Sat., Sept. 24.