2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series WHAT: Cellular One 125 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series Race No. 4 of 15 WHERE: Wenatchee Valley& ...
2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series
WHAT: Cellular One 125
Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series Race No. 4 of 15
WHERE: Wenatchee Valley’s Super Oval, East Wenatchee, Wash.
.250-Mile Paved Speedway
WHEN: Saturday, May 25, 2002– 9:00 p.m. PST
DISTANCE: 125 Laps/31.25 Miles
POSTED AWARDS: $31,350
FIELD: 22 cars possible. Fastest 15 cars through time trials with two provisional starting positions available to the top 30 drivers based on the current 2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring Championship point standings, two starting positions from current top 30 car owners in the 2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring Championship point standings, one position for a former champion of the series who has not qualified in the original 15 positions, the final two positions will be filled by the top two finishers in the Qualifying Race.
SANCTION: National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR)
PROMOTER: Garrett L. Evans Promotions, Inc.
Saturday, May 25
2:30 to 3:15 p.m. First Practice Session
4:15 to 4:45 p.m. Final Practice Session
5:45 p.m. Time Trials (2 laps)
7:00 p.m. 15-lap Qualifying Race
7:20 p.m. Trophy Dash
9:00 p.m. Cellular 1 125
THE RACETRACK: Wenatchee Valley’s Super Oval is a high banked 250-mile .paved oval.
QUALIFYING: Pete Harding 5/27/00 73.777 mph 12.199 seconds
RACE: Kevin Hamlin 5/26/01 61.275 mph 30 min 36 sec
NOTES OF INTEREST:
* Kevin Hamlin is the Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series points leader heading into the Cellular One 125, holding a 60-point lead on Chris Hart. Hamlin won two of three events held at Wenatchee Valley in 2001. Hart had one top-5 finish in three 2001 starts on the .250-mile paved oval.
* Hamlin has three straight top-5 finishes at Wenatchee Valley. He led 151 laps in the 2001 season finale to clinch his first career Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series championship. Dating back to last season, Hamlin has finished in the top-5 running order of ten consecutive series races.
* Kelly Mann holds a two-point lead on Travis Powell for the 2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series Rookie of the Year award. Powell earned rookie-of-the-race honors at the series last race, held at South Sound Speedway. Mann had captured the first two rookie-of-the-race awards of the season (Evergreen Speedway and Tri-Cities Raceway).
* Ken Kaltschmidt is ninth in the series points standings heading into the Cellular One 125. This is the highest the Marion, Mont. native has been on the points ladder since his third place finish in 2000.
* During the 13-year history of NASCAR Touring racing action at Wenatchee Valley, no driver has ever swept events held at the track when more than one race has been run in a season.
* Since 1998, Pete Harding, Gary Lewis and Kevin Hamlin have been the hottest drivers at the East Wenatchee facility. Harding has six top-5 finishes; Lewis and Hamlin each have two wins and four top-5 runs in that time span.
* The Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series has held events in East Wenatchee, Wash. since 1988. In that time, 14 drivers have found victory lane including first time winners Tom Pinkowsky, Wilber Bruce, Gary Smith, and Kevin Stimberis.
STAT OF THE WEEK:
* Ron Eaton is the career leader in victories at Wenatchee Valley's Super Oval with five. He did not pick up his first career pole award on the .250-mile' bullring' until this event one year ago.