2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series WHAT: Leonard Evans Superstore 125 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series Race No. 6 of 14 WHERE: Wenatchee Valley's Super Oval, East Wenatchee, Wash. .250-Mile Paved Speedway WHEN: Saturday, July 6, 2002--...
2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series
WHAT: Leonard Evans Superstore 125
Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series Race No. 6 of 14
WHERE: Wenatchee Valley's Super Oval, East Wenatchee, Wash.
.250-Mile Paved Speedway
WHEN: Saturday, July 6, 2002-- 9:00 p.m. PST
DISTANCE: 125 Laps/31.25 Miles
POSTED AWARDS: $31,350
FIELD: 22 cars possible. Fastest 15 cars through time trials with two provisional starting positions available to the top 30 drivers based on the current 2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring Championship point standings, two starting positions from current top 30 car owners in the 2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring Championship point standings, one position for a former champion of the series who has not qualified in the original 15 positions, the final two positions will be filled by the top two finishers in the Qualifying Race.
SANCTION: National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR)
PROMOTER: Garrett L. Evans Promotions, Inc.
Saturday, July 6
2:30 to 3:15 p.m. First Practice Session
4:15 to 4:45 p.m. Final Practice Session
5:45 p.m. Time Trials (2 laps)
7:00 p.m. 15-lap Qualifying Race
7:20 p.m. Trophy Dash
9:00 p.m. Evans 125
THE RACETRACK: Wenatchee Valley's Super Oval is a high banked .250-mile paved oval.
RECORDS: Driver Date Speed Time
QUALIFYING: Pete Harding 5/27/00 73.777 mph 12.199 seconds
RACE: Kevin Hamlin 5/26/01 61.275 mph 30 min 36 sec
NOTES OF INTEREST:
* Kevin Hamlin is the Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series points leader heading into the Cellular One 125, holding a 120-point lead on Chris Hart. Hamlin won two of three events held at Wenatchee Valley in 2001 and captured the first race of the 2002 season at the .250-mile paved oval. Hart had one top-5 finish in three 2001 starts on the .250-mile paved oval. He placed second to Hamlin at the series first stop of 2002 at Wenatchee Valley.
* Hamlin has held the series points lead for one calendar year. He vaulted past Ron Eaton on June 9, 2001 after a win at Tri-City Raceway. The 23-year old Snohomish, Wash. native is in line to become the series second back-to-back champion should he continue as the 2002 points leader.
* Kelly Mann holds a five-point lead on Travis Powell for the 2002 Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series Rookie of the Year award. Mann earned rookie-of-the-race honors at the series last event, held at Yakima Speedway on June 1. Powell has captured one rookie-of-the-race award this season (South Sound Speedway).
* Troy Conrad has moved to third place in the 2002 chase for the Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring championship. This is the highest position on the points ladder the Puyallup, Wash. native has been in his two-year career.
* During the 13-year history of NASCAR Touring racing action at Wenatchee Valley, no driver has ever swept events held at the track when more than one race has been run in a season.
* Since 1998, Pete Harding, Gary Lewis and Kevin Hamlin have been the hottest drivers at the East Wenatchee, Wash. facility. Harding has seven top-5 finishes; Hamlin has three wins and five top-5 runs. Lewis has two wins and four top-5 runs in that time span.
STAT OF THE WEEK:
* Kevin Hamlin has added to his collection of records in the Raybestos Brakes Northwest Series, NASCAR Touring history book. The defending champion has won three straight races and led a new record, 275 consecutive laps of series racing action.