Goody's Dash Series NASCAR Touring Pre-Race Fact Sheet LANGLEY SPEEDWAY "100" What: The Langley Speedway "100" is Race No. 15 in the NASCAR Goody's Dash Series 1998 Schedule. Where: Langley Speedway in Hampton, VA. is a .395 mile slightly...
Goody's Dash Series NASCAR Touring
Pre-Race Fact Sheet LANGLEY SPEEDWAY "100"
What: The Langley Speedway "100" is Race No. 15 in the NASCAR Goody's Dash Series 1998 Schedule.
Where: Langley Speedway in Hampton, VA. is a .395 mile slightly banked asphalt oval. The speedway is located on North Armistead Ave. in Hampton. Go 1 mile north of US 258 on I-64 to SR 134, then 2 miles north, then .25 mile east then south on North Armistead. (Speedway is located adjacent to the NASA Center )
When: Saturday, September 5, 1998 - 7:00 p.m.
Distance: 100 Laps (39.5 Miles)
Promoter: W.W. Motorsports, Inc.
Sanction: National Association of Stock Car Automobile Racing Inc. (NASCAR)
Schedule: Saturday, Sept.5--Registration and Inspection at 9:00 a.m. Mandatory Rookie Drivers Meeting 11:00 a.m. (at the Dash Trailer). Practice 11:30 -1:30 p.m. Draw for qualifying 1:45 p.m. Time Trials (2 laps) 4:00 p.m. Mandatory Driver and Crew Chief Meeting 6:30 p.m.
Posted Awards: $19,600 Including Promoters Purse, Cash Contingency Awards, $1200 NASCAR Goody's Dash Series Championship Points Fund and $2500 NASCAR Goody's Dash Series Top 20 Bonus Plan.
Participating Manufacturers: Goody's Pharmaceuticals, Moog Chassis Parts, NGK Spark Plugs, NAPA Oil Filters, Pontiac Racing, Pro Shocks, Toyota Racing, Victor Reinz Gaskets, Anheuser-Busch, Gatorade, Goodyear Tires, STP Oil Treatment.
Notes of Interest:
Qualifying Record - 16.317 sec. / 87.148 mph. Brian Sockwell, Aug. 16, 1997 Race Record - 71.854 mph. Robert Huffman, September 15, 1990
* This event marks the 22nd appearance of the Goody's Dash Series at Langley Speedway since 1976.
* In the 1997 event here, Brian Sockwell edged out B.J. Mackey in a last lap sprint to the finish. Mackey came across the line sideways in that last ditch effort to pass Sockwell. Mackey had led 29 laps of the event and had given up the lead to Sockwell on lap 60.
* Larry Caudill has four wins at this speedway and holds the record for the most Series wins. Caudill's wins came in '87, '88, '89 and '94.
* Caudill also holds that record for the most poles at Langley Speedway. The North Wilkesboro driver started in the number one spot six times and all four of his wins came from the pole.
* The last three events here have been won from the pole. Caudill in '94, Will Hobgood in '96 and Brian Sockwell in '97. No event was held here in '95.
* Other notable Dash Series drivers who have won at Langley include Hut Stricklin, Billy Standridge, Rob Moroso, Robert Pressley, Mike Swaim Sr., Robert Huffman, Dean Combs, Larry Hoopaugh, Mickey York and Johnny Smith.
* 1991 Series Champion, Johnny Chapman is expected to enter this event driving the No. 84 Daly Racing entry recently vacated by John Whaley. Chapman has never won an event here, but he has one pole 1992, an event that was eventually won by Mickey York on his way to the National Championship.
Note: Prior to 1992, some records may be incomplete.
Rules Specific To This Track: Tires: Goodyear 2376 (Left Side) 2373 (Right Side) Field: 26 fastest qualifiers plus two provisionals. Pit Parking: All trucks and trailers may unload in the infield pit area, but must park in the designated area outside the track. Ticket and Other Information: Available from Hickory Motor Speedway at 828-464-3655.