New England 125 Busch North Series, NASCAR Touring, Race ...
New England 125
Busch North Series, NASCAR Touring, Race #10 of 19
New Hampshire International Speedway, Loudon, N.H.
TELEVISION: SPEED Channel, Monday, August 12, 8:00-10:00 p.m. Eastern
SCHEDULE: Thursday, July 18
12:15 to 12:55 p.m. Practice
1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Practice
3:45 p.m. Bud Pole Qualifying
Friday, July 19
(No on-track activity)
Saturday, July 20
8:50 to 9:30 a.m. Practice
3:00 p.m. (approx.) New England 125
NOTES OF INTEREST:
* The New England 125 is the third of seven Busch North Series races to be televised nationally on SPEED Channel during the 2002 season. The race will be shown between 8 and 10 p.m. Eastern time on Monday, August 12.
* Brad Leighton is the defending winner of this event, and is working on a two-race winning streak at NHIS, having won this May’s Busch 125. Leighton is the all-time leading winner at NHIS with six Busch North Series victories.
* In the 2001 New England 125, Leighton made a bold pass of Martin Truex Jr. in lapped traffic with five laps remaining to win by .346 seconds. Kelly Moore, Matt Kobyluck, and Dale Quarterley completed the top five as 18 cars finished on the lead lap. Leighton averaged 100.805 miles per hour.
* In this May’s race, Leighton edged Andy Santerre by .021 seconds– less than one foot- as the pair traded the lead three times in the lst 22 laps. Moore, Dale Shaw, and Kobyluck were third through fifth. Th race ran 130 laps to achieve a green flag finish, of which 52 were under caution, holding the average speed to 80.511 mph. Again 18 cars were on the lead lap.
* Kelly Moore set a track record in Bud Pole Qualifying on the reconfigured NHIS track in May at 30.039 seconds, 126.799 mph. Leighton was the Bud Pole winner for this event last July, about half a second and two miles per hour slower.
* The New England 125 will be the 37th Busch North Series event at NHIS since 1990; the most races hosted by one speedway in the series’ history. Brad Leighton leads all drivers with six wins, while Ted Christopher, Mike McLaughlin, and Kelly Moore are tied with four. Dale Shaw and Joe Bessey have three wins, followed by Ricky Craven and Andy Santerre with two. Single winners are Jamie Aube, Martin Truex Sr., Mike Stefanik, Steve Park, Dave Dion, Jerry Marquis, Tom Carey, and Martin Truex Jr.
* New Hampshire International Speedway opened in July 1990 on the site of the former Bryar Motorsport Park road course and infield oval. The Busch North Series has been a part of each Winston Cup weekend at NHIS, beginning in July 1993. In fact, if "combination" races with the Busch Series, Grand National Division are included, the Busch North Series has been a part of every NASCAR weekend at NHIS.
* Drivers still active in the Busch North Series who raced in the first series event at NHIS in September 1990 include Kelly Moore, Jamie Aube, Dale Shaw, Mike Olsen, Mike Rowe, and Barney McRae.
STAT OF THE WEEK
No Busch North Series driver has ever turned the hat trick at NHIS- three wins in a row. Back-to-back wins have been recorded by Leighton (twice), Kelly Moore (twice), and Mike McLaughlin. McLaughlin (1992) and Moore (1998) won two in the same season, the others overlapped seasons. McLaughlin is the only driver to record a season sweep at the "Magic Mile".