2002 BUSCH NORTH SERIES, NASCAR TOURING RACE FACTS WHAT: PTM Racing 150 Busch North Series, NASCAR Touring Race ...
2002 BUSCH NORTH SERIES, NASCAR TOURING RACE FACTS
WHAT: PTM Racing 150
Busch North Series, NASCAR Touring Race #5 of 19
WHERE: Beech Ridge Motor Speedway, Scarborough, Maine
.333 mile paved oval
WHEN: Saturday, June 8, 2002
DISTANCE: 150 laps (50 miles)
POSTED AWARDS: $81,194 (including $3,000 Busch North Series, NASCAR Touring Championship point fund money)
FIELD: 30 cars (Fastest 25 through one round of time trials. Two additional positions will be added as provisional starters based on the current 2002 Busch North Series driver point standings, two positions based on the current 2002 Busch North Series owner point standings, plus one position reserved for a past Busch North Series champion, if needed.)
SANCTION: National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR)
PROMOTER: Beech Ridge Speedway, Inc.
SCHEDULE: Saturday, June 8
10:00 a.m. Registration & Inspection
11:00 a.m. Mandatory Drivers Meeting
12:00 noon to 2:00 p.m. Practice
5:15 p.m. Bud Pole Qualifying (pos. 1-25)
9:00 p.m. (approx.) PTM Racing 150
NOTES OF INTEREST:
* The defending champion of this event is Mike Olsen, who scored his first career Busch North Series victory here in 2001. He started second but spun early in the event. Staying on the lead lap, Olaen patiently worked his way through the field to pass Paul Richardson for the lead on lap 124. Richardson, in his best career finish, Mike Johnson, Dave Dion, and Brian Hoar completed the top five in a race which saw eight lead changes among five drivers.
* Mike Johnson won the July appearance of the Busch North Series at Beech Ridge in 2001, outrunning Dion and Dale Quarterley in another hard-fought race that saw six lead changes. In September, it was a different story as Dale Quarterley dominated, joining Olsen as a first-time career winner. Technically, Quarterley lost the lead twice, but only for one lap on a side-by-side restart. Olsen and Truex led the futile pursuit of Quarterley.
* Bud Pole Qualifying for last June’s race was rained out, but Mike Olsen set a track record in July at 15.586 seconds, 76.992 miles per hour. It was Olsen’s first Bud Pole. He repeated in September, but was a tick slower.
* Tracy Gordon and Dale Shaw have each won three Busch North Series races at Beech Ridge. Single races have been won by Kelly Moore, Andy Santerre, Dave Dion, and Brad Leighton, as well as Olsen, Johnson, and Quarterley.
* Beech Ridge Motor Speedway opened in 1949 and operated until 1986 with an oiled dirt surface. The track was paved with asphalt in 1987 and became a member of the NASCAR Weekly Racing Series presented by Dodge in 1995. Notable driving alumni of "The Ridge" include journalist and broadcaster Dick Berggren, the track record holder on dirt, and Brad Leighton, who was the track sportsman champion in 1990. Current Raybestos Rookie point leader Robbie Harrison is a recent Beech Ridge graduate.
STAT OF THE WEEK
The Busch North Series has four different race winners and four track qualifying records in the first four races of 2002. A mark has also been set which may be unprecedented- all four races have gone into overtime, that is, they have been extended to produce a green-white-checker finish. A total of 17 extra laps have been run.