Minersville, PA - August 23 - Steady rain forced the racing program at Big Diamond Raceway on Friday night featuring the United Racing Club Sprints, NASCAR Modifieds and NASCAR Roadrunners to be canceled. Four modified heats for the field of 44...
Minersville, PA - August 23 - Steady rain forced the racing program at Big Diamond Raceway on Friday night featuring the United Racing Club Sprints, NASCAR Modifieds and NASCAR Roadrunners to be canceled. Four modified heats for the field of 44 cars were completed and the first URC Sprint heat was on the track when the rain hit.
Rain checks will be good at their $18 face value for any one of the next three race dates at Big Diamond between now and September 7. Refunds will be give for the difference if the gate fee for the event selected is less than $18 as well as the difference charged if the gate fee is greater than $18.
After long discussions with United Racing Club officials and consideration of a September 20 raindate, the decision was made to postpone the URC event until the Sprint of 2003. But the remainder of the modified program will be added to the September 6 racing card.
"We thought we could run on September 20 and get the URC event in," commented track General Manager, JoAnn Roehrig, "but Bob (Miller) and John (Zimmerman) of URC indicated their teams' desire to avoid a Friday night show in September. They are shared a reluctance to pull from Big Diamond on Friday and then to Delmar (Delaware International Speedway) the next day for an event already scheduled. We honored their request and agreed to look at next Spring."
But track officials decided to pick up on September 6 where they left off Friday. Two modified consolations will be the first events on the card followed by the modified feature. Then a complete program will be run for the NASCAR Modifieds, Sportsman and Roadrunners to close out the 2002 NASCAR Weekly Racing Series track and Northeast Regional point seasons at Big Diamond.