No. 12 Penske Racing Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger News and Notes * This week's Charger... The No. 12 Verizon Wireless team will race chassis PRS-017 during Saturday night's 250-mile NASCAR Nationwide Series event at Gateway International...
No. 12 Penske Racing Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger News and Notes
* This week's Charger... The No. 12 Verizon Wireless team will race chassis PRS-017 during Saturday night's 250-mile NASCAR Nationwide Series event at Gateway International Raceway outside St.Louis. PRS-017 last saw action last month at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway where the No.12 Verizon Wireless Dodge crossed the finish line in the 13th spot.
* Come and See Me... Driver Justin Allgaier will be at the Verizon Wireless store in Springfield, Ill. on Tuesday, July 14 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. CT. Allgaier will visit with fans, sign autographs and take pictures. The Penske Racing souvenir trailer will also be on site at the appearance, selling the latest Penske Racing merchandise. Gateway International Raceway will be on hand as well, selling tickets to Saturday's Missouri-Illinois Dodge Dealers 250. The Verizon Wireless store is located at 3424 Freedom Drive in Springfield, Ill., 62704.
* Allgaier Army... Allgaier has become quite the celebrity in his home state of Illinois. He has become so popular that Gateway International Raceway sold over 1,000 tickets to the "Justin Allgaier" section of the race track. In a special promotion, GIR has divided stands into driver sections so fans can sit together and cheer for their favorite competitors.
* Rookie Watch... With another top-10 finish at Chicagoland Speedway last Friday night, Allgaier remains the leader in the Nationwide Series Rookie-Of-The-Year battle. The Riverton, Ill. native is currently eight points ahead of Brendan Gaughan after 18 of 34 events. Allgaier is ranked sixth overall in the series driver standings.
* Past History... Allgaier has four ARCA RE/MAX Series starts at Gateway International Raceway. He accumulated one top-five result at the venue with a best finish of fourth, coming in 2008.
* Listen and Watch... The Missouri-Illinois Dodge Dealers 250 can be seen on Saturday, July 18 live on ESPN2 with coverage beginning at 9 p.m. ET. The event can also be heard live on MRN radio as well as Sirius Satellite Radio channel 128.
Justin Allgaier on driving at Gateway International Raceway
"I can't wait to get back to Gateway [International Raceway]. It is my home track, so to speak. There are going to be a lot of family and friends there to watch our Verizon Wireless Dodge team on Saturday night. I love going home. It is great to catch up with all of my friends. Ashley and I are going to spend a couple of days in Springfield before heading down to the track. Gateway is a tough race track. It's very different on both ends so I think that's one of the things that is going to be tough. This race track is really fast and you know a lot of different lines, so I think we're going to fight a lot of the same problems, just different race tracks this weekend and next weekend."
Crew chief Chad Walter on racing at Gateway International Raceway
"The key to success at Gateway [International Raceway] is getting off turn 4. If you can carry speed off the corner and down the front straightaway, you will be able to set up cars going into turn 1. The car has to really rotate in the center of the corner and you will have a car that will compete for the win. Gateway [International Raceway] is Justin's home track. We want to put on a good show for all the fans that come to watch him race. They have all watched him grow up and I would love nothing more than to help Justin get his first win in front of the hometown fans."