Reutimann returns to Richmond International Raceway, * David Reutimann made his NASCAR Nationwide Series debut at Richmond International Raceway (RIR) on May 3, 2002. He finished 16th that day, driving for fellow Floridian, Joe Nemechek. *...
Reutimann returns to Richmond International Raceway,
* David Reutimann made his NASCAR Nationwide Series debut at Richmond International Raceway (RIR) on May 3, 2002. He finished 16th that day, driving for fellow Floridian, Joe Nemechek.
* Trent Owens, crew chief of the No. 32 Dollar General Toyota, faces a challenge that most crew chiefs do not as he heads to RIR this weekend. Owens will have his third driver in three weeks behind the wheel of his car. And these are not just ordinary, run-of-the-mill drivers. One is a former Formula One and CART Champion and Indy 500 winner (Jacques Villeneuve), one is a former NASCAR Nationwide Series Champion (Brian Vickers) and one is the winner of this year's Coca-Cola 600 (David Reutimann).
* Heading home...the No. 32 team boasts a pair of Virginia-natives who will be returning to their home state this weekend. They are mechanic and interior specialist, Chris Haymaker (Moneta, VA) and engine tuner, Jason Watkins (Ridgeway, VA).
* Braun Racing teammate and driver of the No. 32 Dollar General Toyota, Brian Vickers, is driving a dirt Late Model stock car in Wednesday's PRELUDE to the DREAM at Eldora Speedway.
* Dollar General BIG STAGE Sweepstakes is underway! Enter for your chance to win a VIP trip to Nashville, backstage passes with Trace Adkins at the Grand Ole Opry AND $50,000!! Over 1800 additional prizes will be awarded. Contest is from June 28 -- October 1, 2009. To enter, simply shop at Dollar General and buy participating brands, then enter the special code on your receipt at dollargeneral.com. You can also enter with no purchase necessary. Visit www.dollargeneral .com for information.
Reutimann on racing at Richmond International Raceway:
"Richmond International Raceway is a tough race track. It's a driver's track, so from that aspect it's a fun place to race at. The groove widens out and you can drive all over the place here. A race is hard on the car and the driver! It is rough on the brakes and on the tempers. As a driver, it's a place where you can learn a lot. I know I have and I look forward to coming back here every year."
Reutimann on why Richmond is a special place to him:
"My debut race in NASCAR came in Richmond in the Nationwide Series in 2002. I was just a local short track driver from Florida who had a one-race opportunity in a car fielded by Joe Nemechek. We entered that race with just one car and one motor and barely enough money for a set of tires. I remember going there scared to death and thinking this is my only shot. No pressure at all. But I knew that it was my chance to make an impression in the sport."
* The No. 32 Dollar General team will compete with chassis #028 in this weekend's Virginia 529 College Savings 250 at Richmond International Raceway.
* #028 was last seen on track at O'Reilly Raceway Park (July, 2009) where Brian Ickler practiced and qualified the No. 32 Camry. Reutimann made the dash from Indianapolis Speedway and drove the car to an 11th-place finish.