* Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the No. 12 Penske Truck Rental Dodge Charger for Penske Racing, made his first NASCAR Nationwide Series start of the 2008 season at Texas Motor Speedway in April. After starting in the 43rd position, Hornish Jr....
* Sam Hornish Jr., driver of the No. 12 Penske Truck Rental Dodge Charger for Penske Racing, made his first NASCAR Nationwide Series start of the 2008 season at Texas Motor Speedway in April. After starting in the 43rd position, Hornish Jr. captured a 19th place finish.
* This is Hornish Jr.'s first race at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez and his first road course event in a NASCAR stock car. This race will serve as preparation for the upcoming Cup Series road course races as well as the Nationwide Series race at Watkins Glen later this year.
* The No. 12 Penske Truck Rental team recently completed road-course tests at Virginia International Raceway and Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, South Carolina in preparation for this weekend's Corona Mexico 200.
* Hornish Jr. has competed in 11 road course races in IndyCar Series competition. He has a total of two top-five and six top -ten finishes, with his best finish of second-place at Watkins Glen International (07/08/07).
PBC-009: This weekend's race car was last driven by Kurt Busch at Watkins Glen International in August 2007. Busch started from the pole and finished the race in third place.
PBC-018: The backup car for this weekend was driven by Ryan Newman at Watkins Glen International in August 2007.
Sam Hornish Jr. on the Corona Mexico 200
"I've never been to Mexico City and have not yet raced a road course in a stock car. We are using this race to prepare for the upcoming Cup Series road course events. Hopefully, we will have a solid, uneventful race.
"It is very important to take care of your front valance on a road course. You have to be careful with all the curves and be aware that getting your wheels off course can cause damage. Brakes are obviously important in these types of races and you can't rule out heat and altitude as a factor this weekend."
Crew Chief Matt Gimbel on the Corona Mexico 200
"Our goal for this weekend in Mexico City is to have a good, solid race with Sam (Hornish Jr.) and have him get laps on a road course in a stock car. This is to prepare him for the upcoming Cup Series road course races in Sonoma and Watkins Glen.
"Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez is not a highly technical track and it is a good introduction for Sam to stock car racing on a road course. As he takes his talent and knowledge from the IndyCar Series and transitions to NASCAR, it is important that he competes with a wide range of drivers and the Nationwide Series affords him that opportunity."