All of NASCAR’s national and regional series have decided their respective championships, but there remained a few winners to be named that were decided solely by race fans.
On Wednesday, NASCAR announced the results of online voting for most popular driver in its six regional series: K&N Pro East, K&N Pro West, Whelen Modified, Whelen Southern Modified, Canada Pinty’s and Whelen Euro.
More than 47,000 votes were cast and here are the winners:
• Austin Theriault of Fort Kent, Maine, K&N Pro Series East
• Salvatore Iovino of Los Angeles, K&N Pro Series West
• Melissa Fifield of Wakefield, N.H., Whelen Modified Tour
• Trey Hutchens of Lexington, N.C., Whelen Southern Modified Tour
• Jason Hathaway of St. Thomas, Ontario, Pinty’s Series and
• Alon Day of Ashdod, Israel, Whelen Euro Series.
The list includes four repeat winners – Fifield, Hutchens, Hathaway and Day. Hutchens almost double-dipped as he was also runner-up in K&N Pro Series East.
Hathaway announced earlier this season he was retiring from full-time competition after racing in all 121 events in Pinty’s Series history.
The award was open to any driver who competed in at last half of the races in their respective series.
On Monday night in Miami, Elliott Sadler was named winner of the most popular driver in the Xfinity Series and Tyler Reddick claimed the honor in the Camping World Truck Series.
The winner of the Cup series’ most popular driver award will be named at the Myers Brothers Awards Luncheon on Dec. 1 in Las Vegas. Dale Earnhardt Jr. has won the award the past 13 seasons.