AMBROSE FIRED UP TO BRING KINGSFORD TAILGATE AT HOME TO KANSAS KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Marcos Ambrose can't wait to fire up the grill and get his No. 59 Kingsford Tailgate at Home Ford on the track this weekend at the Kansas Speedway. No place...
AMBROSE FIRED UP TO BRING KINGSFORD TAILGATE AT HOME TO KANSAS
KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Marcos Ambrose can't wait to fire up the grill and get his No. 59 Kingsford Tailgate at Home Ford on the track this weekend at the Kansas Speedway.
No place stirs so many senses like Kansas City, Ambrose said. Saturday's Kansas Lottery 300 for the NASCAR Nationwide Series will feature a perfect blend of speed, sound and vision. Before the race, the racetrack will be filled by fans cooking thick steaks and local barbecue on the grill, a passion that touch the senses of taste and smell.
"Kansas City is one of my favorite places for a lot of reasons," Ambrose said. "First, and most important, is our JTG Daugherty Racing team. Our strength has been the mile and-a-half tracks, so we expect a good race. We're down to the final six races of the season and it's important we finish the season strong. We started the season with a goal of being a Top 10 team. We're already there. Now it's a matter of seeing just how far up the standings we can get."
Ambrose has finished in the Top 20 in 14 of his last 15 races to be 10th in the Nationwide rankings. Kansas could be a defining race for the team's stretch drive, crew chief Gary Cogswell said. "There's no better place to start the final six races than Kansas," Cogswell said. "We're going there with every expectation of running in the Top 10. You always want to run strong, but it's real important we carry a lot of momentum into the off-season. We'll race hard during the day and grill some big Kansas City steaks at night. It doesn't get any better than that."
Ambrose will be doing double-duty this weekend for JTG Daugherty Racing. He's scheduled to drive for the team in Sunday's Sprint Cup Series race.
"This is a big weekend for our race team and Kingsford," Ambrose said. "I'm really fired up for this weekend. We've come a long way with our cars and they're so good on tracks like this. It makes a difference when you head to the track with so much confidence and momentum. I can't wait."
FAST & FUN FACTS:
- Ambrose is ninth in the NASCAR Nationwide Series standings with five Top-10 finishes -- and one win -- in 29 starts for JTG Daugherty Racing.
- Ambrose has finished in the Top 20 in 14 of the last 15 Nationwide Series races.
- Ambrose has one career start at the Kansas Speedway, starting 12th and finishing 39th there a year ago.
- Kingsford has the longest current-running sponsor relationship with the same Nationwide Series team, dating back to the 1998 season.
- Ambrose is a two-time Ford V8 Supercar Series champion, a road-racing series in Australia. He won 27 races in that series.
- Ambrose will make 12 selected appearances in the Sprint Cup Series this season, including Sunday's Camping World RV 400 at the Kansas Speedway for JTG Daugherty Racing.