No. 12 Penske Racing Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger News and Notes * This Week's Charger... The No. 12 Verizon Wireless team will race chassis PRS-018 during Saturday's 250-lap NASCAR Nationwide Series event at Iowa Speedway. PRS-018 has raced...
No. 12 Penske Racing Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger News and Notes
* This Week's Charger... The No. 12 Verizon Wireless team will race chassis PRS-018 during Saturday's 250-lap NASCAR Nationwide Series event at Iowa Speedway. PRS-018 has raced at both Bristol Motor Speedway as well as Kentucky Speedway this season. The car has not had a finish outside the top-five.
* Seasoned Veteran... Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger Justin Allgaier has made three starts at Iowa Speedway since the track opened in 2006, all the in ARCA RE/MAX Series. The 23-year-old driver has a career-best Iowa finish of second place, which came last season.
* Tested and Approved... Allgaier tested at Iowa Speedway last month to help Goodyear select a tire composite for Saturday's race. The Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger team spent two days testing at the .875-mile tri-oval speedway in Newton, Iowa.
* ROY Watch... With another strong performance at O'Reilly Raceway Park last Saturday night, Allgaier remains the leader in the Nationwide Series Rookie-Of-The-Year battle. The Riverton, Ill. native is currently nine points ahead of Brendan Gaughan in the standings after 20 of 34 events.
* Moving on Up... With his top-25 run last weekend, Allgaier moved up one spot in the Nationwide Series driver point standings. He now sits in the sixth spot, only 25 points out of fifth.
Justin Allgaier on driving at Iowa Speedway
"Iowa [Speedway] is a unique facility that offers short track racing with the feel of most speedways. Even though the track is only 7/8 of a mile, it reminds me of the larger, faster speedways like Chicagoland [Speedway] and Auto Club Speedway of Southern California. The key to success at Iowa [Speedway] has been carrying speed through the corners. You need to be really strong from the center of the corner though the exit in order to have a successful day. I am excited about going to Iowa because it is close to home. It is only a couple of hours from Springfield [Illinois] so I am sure we will have close friends and family show up."
Crew chief Chad Walter on racing at Iowa Speedway
"I am looking forward to going to Iowa Speedway. We tested there last month for Goodyear which gave the Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger team an edge over the competition. Justin [Allgaier] has raced there three times in the ARCA RE/MAX Series so he knows what it takes to be successful. It is a great track. You will see side-by-side racing all day long. It is imperative to have a strong qualifying lap. Just like at all the short tracks we visit, being upfront is paramount. We will spend some time on Thursday making mock qualifying runs to ensure we will start the event up front. Justin has done a great job all year and we expect nothing less this weekend in Iowa."