No. 12 Penske Racing Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger News and Notes * This Week's Charger... The No. 12 Verizon Wireless team will race chassis PRS-021 during Saturday night's 200-lap NASCAR Nationwide Series event at O'Reilly Raceway Park in ...
No. 12 Penske Racing Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger News and Notes
* This Week's Charger... The No. 12 Verizon Wireless team will race chassis PRS-021 during Saturday night's 200-lap NASCAR Nationwide Series event at O'Reilly Raceway Park in Indianapolis. PRS-021 has yet to see racing action during the 2009 campaign.
* Come and See Me... Driver Justin Allgaier will appear at the Verizon Wireless store just outside Indianapolis, Ind. on Thursday, July 23 from 6-7 p.m. ET. Allgaier will visit with fans, sign autographs and take pictures. The Verizon Wireless store is located at 313 Metropolis Mile in Plainsfield, Ind., 46168.
* Rookie Stripe... Saturday will mark the first time that Allgaier will race at ORP. The 23-year-old has fond memories of attending events at the Indiana short track growing up, but he never has been behind the wheel in competition. The rookie driver has made 12 starts this season at tracks where he has never turned a lap and has produced three top-five and six top-10 finishes at those venues.
* Home Sweet Home... Team engineer Jonathan Hassler was born and raised in Greencastle, Ind., 40 miles west of Indianapolis. The 23-year-old attended Purdue University before joining Penske Racing 19 months ago.
* ROY Watch... With another strong performance at Gateway International Raceway last Saturday night, Allgaier remains the leader in the Nationwide Series Rookie-Of-The-Year battle. The Riverton, Ill. native is currently 11 points ahead of Brendan Gaughan after 19 of 34 events. Allgaier is ranked seventh overall in the series driver standings.
* Listen and Watch... The Kroger 200 can be seen on Saturday, July 25 live on ESPN with coverage beginning at 7:30 p.m. ET. The event can also be heard live on MRN Radio as well as Sirius Satellite Radio channel 128.
Justin Allgaier on driving at O'Reilly Raceway Park
"I am really excited about going to ORP. I have never raced there, but remember watching races there with my dad when I was a kid. I remember how exciting the racing was and can't wait to finally get behind the wheel of our Verizon Wireless Dodge. [ORP] is a great short track. As a driver, these are the kinds of tracks that I love to race. It reminds me of the Saturday night showdown races I grew up participating in. Hopefully, we will have a good night and continue to build momentum moving into the last third of the season."
Crew chief Chad Walter on racing at O'Reilly Raceway Park
"Everyone loves going to ORP. It is a track that, as a racer, you mark on your schedule every year as a place you want to win. As a crew chief, I have to take a different approach to ORP. The track is different than any other place we go. The top groove is the preferred line, but if you can get the car to work on the bottom you might be on to something. Patience is a huge part of ORP. We have to wait for our competitors to make a mistake and then capitalize on it. Justin [Allgaier] has shown that he can race on any track, so I am looking forward to this weekend. He just continues to impress me week in and week out."