* NASCAR Sprint Cup Series veteran Scott Riggs will make his debut with RAB Racing during the NASCAR Nationwide Series season opener at Daytona. Riggs is only scheduled to run the first race with hopes of finding funding to run a full-schedule in...
* NASCAR Sprint Cup Series veteran Scott Riggs will make his debut with RAB Racing during the NASCAR Nationwide Series season opener at Daytona. Riggs is only scheduled to run the first race with hopes of finding funding to run a full-schedule in 2010.
* With an average age on the RAB Racing team roster of 29, Riggs is the oldest member at 39. For that reason, the team has nicknamed him, "Papa".
* RAB Racing's co-owner and general manager, Robert A. Benton is the youngest owner in the NASCAR Nationwide Series garage at the ripe age of 30. Benton will turn 31 in June.
* Scott will be required to qualify the No. 09 Ford Fusion into the field on time for the DRIVEFORCOPD 300 on Saturday.
Welcome Back: The 2002 NASCAR Nationwide Series Raybestos Rookie of the Year, Scott Riggs has not raced in the NNS since race No. 18 at Loudon, New Hampshire in 2007 and has not raced full-time in NASCAR's second-tier division since 2003. However, the series veteran has 80 starts, four wins, three poles, 19 top-5 and 33 top-10 finishes. Riggs has spent the last two seasons racing in the NASCAR Sprint Cup series.
Scott Riggs at Daytona: Riggs has 14 starts at "The World Center of Racing" in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, NASCAR Nationwide Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. The Bahama, NC native has two top-5 and two top-10 finishes and has led 19 laps at the 2.5-mile tri-oval.
A New Look: The No. 09 Ford Fusion has traded in its yellow and blue paint scheme and is now sporting a black and yellow scheme. RAB Racing's very own, Ashley Parlett designed the new look.
Calling the Shots: Ben Gable, a 30 year old Mooresville, NC native, will be taking over as crew chief on the No. 09 Ford Fusion for the 2010 season. Although this is Gable's first stint as crew chief, he has been in the industry for 20 years working under many top names in the sport such as Bill Ingle, Harold Holly, Richard "Slugger" Labbe, Doug Randolph, Todd Parrott and most recently Brad Parrott. Gable has been with RAB Racing for a year and will be one of the youngest crew chiefs in the NASCAR Nationwide Series garage.
Ashley Parlett was named car chief of the No. 09 Ford Fusion for 2010. Parlett, a 26-year-old Wye Mills, MD native, has been with RAB Racing for over four seasons and has excelled at many duties in the shop including car chief of the No. 09 in the ARCA Racing Series and most recently the chassis/brake specialist for John Wes Townley in the NNS in 2009. Parlett continues to be one of the only female mechanics in the NASCAR Nationwide Series garage.
RAB Racing at Daytona: Competitors driving RAB Racing owned cars have been racing at DIS since 2005 and have made seven starts (5 ARCA Racing Series and 2 NASCAR Nationwide Series). The team's best start is 10th (Walt Brannen, 2005, ARCA) and best finish is 4th (John Wes Townley, 2009, ARCA).
This Week's No. 09 Ford Fusion: Scott Riggs will pilot chassis No. 031 in this weekend's DRIVEFORCOPD 300 at Daytona International Speedway. This chassis was built new for the 2009 season and has one start in the Subway Jalapeno 250 Powered by Coca-Cola at Daytona in July.
Points Check: The No. 09 Ford Fusion will start the 2010 season 32nd in points. RAB Racing finished up their rookie stint in 2009 with six top-20 and 12 top-25 finishes.
We're Guessing He Signs His Name Fast Too: Scott Riggs will join other NASCAR Nationwide Series drivers for Q & A and autograph session on Friday, February 12th from 1:00-2:00 PM at the Nationwide display outside the track prior to qualifying.
You haven't been behind the wheel of a stock car since May 2009 and a NNS car since June of 2007, what are your goals/expectations going into the race at Daytona?
"As a team, we need to qualify in and have a solid finish. As for my expectations, I expect to be close to the front, be smart about when to be patient and when to be aggressive. My goal is to have a top 5 finish."
Does it add any pressure knowing you have to qualify the No. 09 Ford Fusion in on time?
"Not really, I have a lot of confidence in the car that Ben and the team have prepared."
What have you been doing in your time away from the race track?
"I have been spending a lot of time with family and preparing for the 2010 season with potential sponsorship meetings."
-source: rab racing