No. 12 Penske Racing Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger News and Notes * This week's Charger... The No. 12 Verizon Wireless team will race chassis PRS-018 during Friday night's 300-mile NASCAR Nationwide Series event outside the "Windy City." ...
No. 12 Penske Racing Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger News and Notes
* This week's Charger... The No. 12 Verizon Wireless team will race chassis PRS-018 during Friday night's 300-mile NASCAR Nationwide Series event outside the "Windy City." PRS-018 has seen action at both Bristol Motor Speedway as well as Kentucky Speedway during the 2009 campaign. The car produced fifth-place finishes at both events this season.
* Come and See Me... Allgaier will be signing autographs at the Penske Racing souvenir trailer on Friday, July 10 from 12:30 p.m. -12:50 p.m. The trailer is located on souvenir row behind the front stretch.
* Rookie Watch... With a top-10 result at the 2.5-mile Daytona International Speedway last Friday night, Allgaier regained the lead in Nationwide Series Rookie-Of-The-Year battle. The Riverton, Ill. native is currently six points ahead of Brendan Gaughan after 17 of 34 events.
* Half Way Home... The Verizon Wireless Dodge team has hit the halfway point of the 2009 campaign. In this season's first 17 races, Allgaier has three top-five and eight top-10 finishes.
* Moving On Up... After last week's top-10 performance, Allgaier moved up two spots in the season long championship point battle. The 23-year-old now sits sixth in the standings.
* Past History... Allgaier has three ARCA RE/MAX Series starts at Chicagoland Speedway. He has accumulated one top-five result at the venue with a best finish of fourth, coming in 2008. The 23-year-old Verizon Wireless Dodge driver has an average finish of 20.0 at the 1.5 mile Chicagoland Speedway
* Listen and Watch... The Dollar General 300 can be seen on Friday, July 10 live on ESPN with coverage beginning at 7:30 p.m. ET. The event can also be heard live on MRN radio as well as Sirius Satellite Radio channel 128.
Justin Allgaier on driving at Chicagoland Speedway
"I am excited about this weekend. I love Chicagoland Speedway. It is a great track and we get to run under the lights. Night racing is so much fun. There is something about it that is electrifying. We are taking one of my favorite cars this weekend. Chad Walter and all the guys on this Verizon Wireless team are just awesome. We seem to be hitting our stride.I know every time I get into the car it is going to be fast. We just need to continue to ride this wave.
Crew chief Chad Walter on racing at Chicagoland Speedway
"Chicagoland Speedway is a great mile-and-a-half track. Handling and track position are the keys to success. You have to have your car pinned to the bottom on both ends of the track in order to have a shot to win. We are going to spend part of Thursday's practice getting Justin [Allgaier] some seat time to get acquainted with the track. He has done a great job all year getting acclimated to tracks where he has never raced a Nationwide Series car before. He has been here a couple of times in an ARCA RE/MAX Series car, which gives him a baseline. He knows the approximate braking points which are crucial. Track position is paramount. These cars are so aero dependent that you need to keep your machine in clean air, and the only way to do that is to be leading."