Discount Tire Team Fast Facts: * Points Update: After finishing 17th this past weekend at Talladega Superspeedway in the Aarons' 312, Reed Sorenson and the No. 41 Discount Tire team dropped one position in the driver standings and...
Discount Tire Team Fast Facts:
* Points Update: After finishing 17th this past weekend at Talladega Superspeedway in the Aarons' 312, Reed Sorenson and the No. 41 Discount Tire team dropped one position in the driver standings and two positions in the owner's standings. They are now 12th in driver points, just 13 points out of 10th and 126 points out of fifth place. They are 16th in owner points, just 69 points out of 10th and 126 points outside the top five.
* Racing Preparations: The No. 41 Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (CGRFS) Busch team tested at Richmond International Raceway (RIR) March 29 -- 30 to prepare for this weekend's NASCAR Busch Series race at RIR. The team is preparing to test some more next week, as well, at Lowe's Motor Speedway May 8 and 9 to prepare for the upcoming Carquest Auto Parts 300 May 27.
* My Hometown: Ryan Quann, the No. 41 Discount Tire catch can man, calls Richmond his home. He grew up in the Virginia town and graduated from Midlowthian High School in 1996. He has been with CGRFS for six years. In addition to his Busch duties, he goes over the wall as the extra man on NEXTEL Cup race days for the No. 42 Texaco/Havoline team. Through the week, he works in the composite shop at CGRFS in Concord, N.C.
* New Addition: Tyler Jones, from South Royalton, Vt., is joining the No. 41 Discount Tire team to help with pit support on race day. This weekend at RIR, will be the first time he assumes his new duties and first time working in the pits during a NASCAR race. This is his third season at CGRFS, where he has worked as a testing mechanic.
* CGRFS NEXTEL News & Updates: Sorenson and the No. 41 Target Team finished 26th at Talladega Superspeedway this past weekend. They maintained the 24th position in the overall standings at the conclusion of the race. They are 140 points out of 15th and 237 out of the top 10 heading into Richmond. Casey Mears and the No. 42 Texaco/Havoline team rallied from a brush with the No. 22 car and the outside wall, and the loss of third gear to finish 20th at Talladega. Mears led his first laps of the 2006 season, but fell to 11th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup standings. He is now 10 points out of 10th place. David Stremme and the No. 40 Lone Star Steakhouse & Saloon team were caught up in an incident on lap nine and forced to the garage for repairs. At the conclusion of the 188-lap event, Stremme was credited with a 34th-place finish at Talladega Superspeedway. Stremme dropped one spot in the NASCAR championship points standings, he is now 37th and he is 284 points out of the top 20 and 454 points out of the 10th spot. All three CGRFS Cup teams are testing at Lowe's Motor Speedway Tuesday and Wednesday before heading to RIR this weekend
* Rookie Ranks: Sorenson currently sits fifth in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Raybestos Rookie of the Year standings with 75 points. He is only 16 points behind leader Clint Bowyer.
* Chassis: The No. 41 Discount Tire team is returning to RIR with the same car it raced in September 2005 at the Virginia short track. Chassis #452 helped the team score a seventh-place finish (started 15th) last fall at Richmond, and then went on to score an eighth-place finish (started fifth) at Phoenix International Raceway in November. That was the last time the chassis saw any action, until the team tested it at RIR this past March.
Reed, you are heading to Richmond International Raceway. You tested there in both the Busch and Cup cars last month, and ran there twice in Busch Series competition last season. Do you feel a little more prepared going into this weekend's race than some of the others you've run so far this year? "I do have a little more track time at Richmond than some of the other places we've run this year, and will run. It always helps when you've had more seat time anywhere you go, and we have a better idea of what the cars are going to do this weekend because of our test sessions just a few weeks ago. We had fair tests at Richmond in both the Busch and Cup cars, so hopefully we can capitalize on that.
"I had a really good Busch car at both Richmond races last season. We had a top-five car at this same race last year. We started inside the top 10 and were making ground, and then got tangled up with another car. That pretty much set the pace for us the rest of the race, and sent us home 31st. In the fall, we were able to redeem ourselves and come out with a top 10. The Busch car has been running really well the last few weeks and we just keep improving, so hopefully we'll get a win here before too long."