McFarland and Navy Team ready to return to Nashville Nashville Notes * On Saturday, NASCAR Busch Series driver Mark McFarland will drive the JR Motorsports No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS in the Federated...
McFarland and Navy Team ready to return to Nashville
* On Saturday, NASCAR Busch Series driver Mark McFarland will drive the JR Motorsports No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS in the Federated Auto Parts 300 at Nashville Superspeedway.
* Saturday's race will mark McFarland's second Busch race at Nashville Superspeedway. In April he started 20th in the Pepsi 300 and was on his way to a solid finish before he was pinched between two cars on Lap 96. The car sustained significant damage as all the suspension components on the left front were bent, broken or gone when the crew brought the car into the garage area. The team launched a massive recovery effort to get the car back on the track and McFarland was able to pick up three positions before finishing 33rd.
* McFarland is scheduled to participate in the 16th Annual City of Hope Celebrity Softball Challenge at Greer Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., on Thursday. The game is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. and a number of Country Music artists, including Vince Gill, Chris Cagle and Bryan White are scheduled to play.
* The team is bringing chassis No. 10 to Nashville this week. The car was last raced two weeks ago at Lowe's Motor Speedway. McFarland started that race from 36th position and finished 13-laps down in 33rd position after the team repaired the damage sustained when McFarland hit the wall on Lap 130.
* McFarland and the JR Motorsports team picked up their best-ever finish of seventh last month at Talladega Superspeedway. The run also marked the team and driver's first-ever top 10 as well.
Mark McFarland, Driver of No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
"I thought we were going to get our first top-10 finish of the year at the first race at Nashville back in April, but we got caught up in a wreck. I'm looking forward to getting back there this weekend to finish what we started the last time out."
Rich Hubbs, Crew Chief of No. 88 Navy Accelerate Your Life Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
"Our results from the Nashville race in April don't quite reflect how well we ran. We had a good qualifying run and Mark was making his way up through the field when he got sandwiched in between two cars. Despite the damage, the team pulled together and we got the car put back together as best we could and. Mark was able to get back out there, pick up a few spots and finish the race.
"We're bringing back the same car this time around and we plan to bring home the finish we should have gotten on our first trip."
* The fleet honoree for Saturday's race at Nashville Superspeedway is the USS Tennessee SSBN 734 (BLUE). The ship was launched in 1986 and is the ninth Trident submarine and lead ship with the Trident II D-5 missile. In 1993, the Tennessee was named the U.S. Atlantic Fleet Ballistic Missile Submarine of the Year. The Tennessee's homeport is Kings Bay, Ga., where it is an operational unit assigned to Submarine Squadron Twenty.