News and Notes from the Raybestos Rookie Contenders - Busch Series * Scott Riggs was the RaybestosÂ® Rookie of the Race in the CARQUEST Auto Parts 300 at Lowe's Motor Speedway scoring a close third place finish. Riggs collected his sixth...
News and Notes from the Raybestos Rookie Contenders - Busch Series
* Scott Riggs was the Raybestos® Rookie of the Race in the CARQUEST Auto Parts 300 at Lowe's Motor Speedway scoring a close third place finish. Riggs collected his sixth top-five and ninth top-10 in 13 races this season. He took home top finishing rookie honors for the seventh time in 2002.
* Riggs maintains a comfortable lead in the Raybestos® Rookie Contender standings over Shane Hmiel. He leads Hmiel by 72 points (199-127) entering Saturday's MBNA 200 at Dover International Speedway.
* Riggs is third in Busch Series points, just 37 behind leader Jason Keller. He is only 21 points behind second place Jack Sprague. Riggs leads fourth place Randy LaJoie by 140 points.
* WOULD YOU BELIEVE? A Raybestos® Rookie Contender has won the pole in three of the last four Busch Series races where time trials were held.
* Hmiel is tied with Jeff Burton and Jeff Green for most poles in the Busch Series entering the MBNA 200.
* All seven Raybestos® Rookies that started the race at Charlotte were running at the finish: Riggs, Casey Mears (23rd), Dan Pardus (25th), Brian Vickers (26th), Kerry Earnhardt (28th), Kasey Kahne (29th), and Shane Hmiel (31st).
* Riggs has led more miles than any other Raybestos® Rookie Contender. Entering Saturday's race at Dover, he has led seven times in six races (111 laps) for a total of 175.05 miles. The rest of the class: Hmiel (65.87), Sauter (50.62) and Mears (6.00).
* Three Raybestos® Rookies have won at least one pole position this season: Hmiel, Riggs, and Sauter.
* Entering the MBNA 200, four Raybestos® Rookies have started all 12 Busch Series races this season: Riggs, Hmiel, Mears, and Earnhardt.
* Scott Wimmer was the Raybestos Rookie of the Race in the 2001 MBNA 200 at Dover. Wimmer placed seventh, completing all 200 laps. He led the race once for seven laps.
* 2001 Raybestos Rookie Champion Greg Biffle was the highest qualifying rookie at Dover, earning the third starting position in time trials. Biffle finished ninth in the race and led once for 15 laps. Wimmer and Biffle were the only rookies to finish in the top and the only first year driver to finished on the lead lap.
* Seven Raybestos Rookies started the race and six were running at the finish of the race: Wimmer, Biffle, Marty Houston (17th), Jamie McMurray (19th), Tim Sauter (22nd) and David Donohue (32nd). The only exception was Larry Foyt who was sidelined after an early race accident and was credited with 41st in the final rundown. <pre> RAYBESTOS ROOKIE CONTENDER POINT STANDINGS
DRIVER POINTS Scott Riggs 199 Shane Hmiel 127 Johnny Sauter 121 Casey Mears 119 Kerry Earnhardt 115 Brian Vickers 59 Kasey Kahne 45 Dan Pardus 43
HIGHEST FINISHING RAYBESTOS ROOKIE BY RACE
EVENT HIGHEST FINISHING ROOKIE EAS/GNC Live Well 300 Shane Hmiel, fifth 1-866-RBCTerm.com 200 Scott Riggs, fourth Sam's Town 300 Johnny Sauter, third DarlingtonRaceway.com 200 Johnny Sauter, 11th Channellock 250 Scott Riggs, ninth O'Reilly 300 Scott Riggs, fourth Pepsi 300 Scott Riggs, first Aaron's 312 Casey Mears, fifth Auto Club 300 Scott Riggs, first Hardee's 250 Brian Vickers, seventh Busch 200 Shane Hmiel, fourth Stacker 2 200 Scott Riggs, second CARQUEST Auto Parts 300 Scott Riggs, third