PHOENIX, AZ â€“ ...
PHOENIX, AZ – #24 Team GMAC driver Jack Sprague has good reason to feel good about returning to Phoenix International Raceway for Saturday's CHEVY TRUCKS 150 (ESPN: 3 p.m. EDT). That's because Sprague has displayed unparalleled dominance in the desert over the past five years.
Items of note heading into Saturday's CHEVY TRUCKS NASCAR 150:
* Three of Sprague's 16 career NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series victories have come at Phoenix International Raceway.
* Sprague nearly collected a fourth win in this event last year, finishing second after putting the #24 GMAC Financial Services Chevrolet on the pole position in track record time (128.402 mph).
*Sprague is the only Bud Pole winner to triumph in the CHEVY TRUCKS NASCAR 150, something he accomplished in 1997.
* Overall, the 35-year-old Spring Lake, Mich. native has four Bud Poles at P.I.R. (the most for any NCTS competitor at a single track) and his three victories came consecutively between 1996-97, also a record.
* Remarkably, Sprague has led 45% of all laps run in the Valley of the Sun (626 of 1,398).
* Chevrolet has won each of the five previous spring races and seven of nine overall at Phoenix.
* Sprague is now 12th in the NCTS Championship standings after his third-place finish at Homestead. His jump from 33rd place in the points tied a record for biggest single race improvement (Rick Crawford). Sprague now has four top-5 finishes in five Homestead starts.
SPRAGUE'S THOUGHTS HEADING INTO SATURDAY'S CHEVY TRUCKS NASCAR 150:
"I always look forward to this trip, probably because we've had some success at Phoenix in the past. The weather's always nice, the fans are always great, and more times than not, we go home with a good finish. What's not to like?"
Sprague added, "This series has become so competitive in the past couple of years. It's important for Team GMAC to build on the success we had at Homestead and get that first victory of the season. The fact that Chevrolet is sponsoring this event makes me want to put the #24 GMAC Financial Services Chevrolet in victory lane that much more. I know one thing for sure: everybody on this crew will do what they have to do to put us in a position to win on Saturday." Jack Sprague Career Record at Phoenix International Raceway
<pre> Year Event Start Finish Laps Money Status 1999 Chevy Trucks NASCAR 150 1 2 150/150 $24,650 Running 1998 Chevy Trucks Desert Star 7 5 200/200 9,850 Running GM Goodwrench 300 2 13 186/186 8,750 Running 1997 Chevy Trucks Desert Star 3 10 200/200 5,950 Running GM Goodwrench 300 6 3 186/186 18,450 Running 1996 Chevy Trucks Desert Star 2 1 186/186 37,775 Running GM Goodwrench 300 1 1 186/186 36,125 Running 1995 Skoal Copper World 15 6 80/80 2,900 Running GM Goodwrench 200 1 6 124/124 3,700 Running