Kyle Busch says if he isn't allowed to run Trucks, "I'm done"
While speaking with SiriusXM NASCAR Radio on Tuesday, Kyle Busch did not hold back when taking on NASCAR's decision to further limit the amount of races Cup drivers can run in the lower divisions.
Starting next season, drivers with more than five years of full-time experience at the Cup level will be limited to a maximum of seven races in the NASCAR Xfinity Series and five races in the Camping World Truck Series.
No more Kyle Busch Motorsports?
Busch, who runs several Xfinity and Truck races per year, was not pleased with the news.
"I skipped three months of racing Xfinity (between March, 2017 and June, 2017). There were nine races in that time. You had one race won by an Xfinity regular, so it didn't change a damn thing by eliminating the races that Cup drivers can run. We all get together this off-season and pick and choose our races around each other's schedules, we can still screw it up as much as we want to screw it up and piss everybody off. So I wouldn't be too certain that that might not happen.
"But if we keep continuing to put the limits on it, I'm going to tell you right now, if the limits to the Truck Series go to zero, I'm done. So you wouldn't see Kyle Busch Motorsports teams out on the race track. That's just the way I'm going to make it and we'll see how that progresses as the years go along. You know, the Xfinity Series side, I'm sure Joe's frustrated. I know I'm frustrated. We'll just continue to race the races we're allowed to run with the sponsorship that we have. We got great partners."
Losing the "fun factor"
Busch went on to say that his reasoning for putting an end to his Truck program would be partially due to losing the ability to attract potential sponsors, but "it's also the fun factor from me. I enjoy going out and running Truck races and if I'm not allowed to do that, then why am I owning a team that I'm not allowed to race for? It just doesn't make any sense. If I'm out there spending money for other drivers and whatnot to come up through the ranks, but yet, I'm getting beat up as not allowed to drive in it and it's no fun for me, then why am I spending my money to continue to evolve talent that's going to replace me one day.
Busch was also asked if he feels this regulations single him out specifically, despite making up three of the 12 Xfinity races won by Cup drivers so far in 2017. "I don't think it's me necessarily getting singled out," he said before later adding, "it only seems to get louder when its one particular driver. So I do feel as though these conversations wouldn't be what they are if I were a Kevin Harvick or a Kyle Larson or a Brad Keselowski where I have a couple wins here and there.
"But when I was running 20 races a year and I was winning 10 or 13 of those races, you know that's when the barks seem to get louder and the talk of the restrictions seem to get more and more."
Second generation racer Landon Huffman to make Truck debut
Darrell Wallace Jr. secures Truck ride for Michigan
About this article
|Teams||Kyle Busch Motorsports|