News and notes from the RaybestosÂ® Rookie contenders - Craftsman Truck Series * Brendan Gaughan scored his first career Craftsman Truck Series win in the O'Reilly 400K at Texas Motor Speedway. Gaughan took the checkered flag 2.364 seconds in...
News and notes from the Raybestos® Rookie contenders - Craftsman Truck Series
* Brendan Gaughan scored his first career Craftsman Truck Series win in the O'Reilly 400K at Texas Motor Speedway. Gaughan took the checkered flag 2.364 seconds in front of Travis Kvapil to score the victory. The win came in his 24th career start in the series. Gaughan has now been Raybestos® Rookie of the Race four times entering the O'Reilly Auto Parts 200 at Memphis Motorsports Park.
* Gaughan was the first Raybestos® Rookie to lead a lap in the Craftsman Truck Series this season. He led twice for 60 laps, most of any driver in the race.
* Gaughan used his win to stretch his lead in the Raybestos® Rookie standings. Entering Saturday's O'Reilly Auto Parts 200 at Memphis Motorsports Park, Gaughan leads Jason Small by 21 points (86-65).
* Gaughan's win marks the third consecutive season where a Raybestos® Rookie of the Year Contender has won at least one race.
* Five Raybestos® Rookies started the O'Reilly 400K at Texas, and two were running at the finish of the event: Gaughan, Bill Lester (11th). Engine failure claimed Jason Small (25th) and Trent Owens (26th) while a vibration sidelined Randy Briggs (32nd).
* Bill Lester was the highest qualifying Raybestos® Rookie at Texas, taking the seventh starting position. This is the fifth time in six races this season Lester has been top qualifying rookie.
* Eight Raybestos® Rookies qualified for the Rocky Mountain 200 at Pikes Peak International Raceway, equaling the most first year drivers that have started a Craftsman Truck Series race this season. Eight first year drivers also took the green flag in the Ram Tough 200 at Gateway International Raceway.
* Only three Raybestos® Rookies have started all seven races entering the O'Reilly Auto Parts 200: Gaughan, Small, and Lester.
* Gaughan moves up to ninth in Craftsman Truck Series points, best of all Raybestos® Rookie Contenders. He is four behind eighth place Travis Kvapil and 17 behind seventh place Dennis Setzer. Gaughan leads 10th place Terry Cook by 18 and enjoys a 47 point advantage over 11th place Jon Wood.
* Ricky Hendrick was the Raybestos® Rookie of the Race in the last year's race at Memphis. He started finished seventh, completing all 200 laps of the race. He was also the highest qualifying rookie, taking the 12th starting position in time trials.
* Matt Crafton had a good day last year at Memphis, collecting a 10th place finish on the lead lap. Crafton and Hendrick were the only Raybestos® Rookies to finish in the top-10.
* Several other first year drivers had a good day at Memphis. Billy Bigley (11th), Travis Kvapil (12th) and Jon Wood (14th) all finished on the lead lap. Willy T. Ribbs finished 17th while Brian Rose was the only first year driver that didn't finish the race. An accident left Rose with a 28th place finish.
* No Raybestos® Rookie led a lap last year at Memphis.
<pre> RAYBESTOS® ROOKIE CONTENDER POINT STANDINGS
DRIVER POINTS Brendan Gaughan 86 Jason Small 65 Bill Lester 62 Trent Owens 54 Rodney Sawyers 34 Angie Wilson 26 Loni Richardson 20 Randy Briggs 13 Dana White 8
HIGHEST FINISHING RAYBESTOS® ROOKIES BY RACE
EVENT HIGHEST FINISHING ROOKIE Florida Dodge Dealers 250 Jason Small, ninth Craftsman Anniversary 200 Trent Owens, 15th Advance Auto Parts 250 Brendan Gaughan, ninth Ram Tough 200 Brendan Gaughan, 11th Rocky Mountain 200 Trent Owens, 14th MBNA 200 Brendan Gaughan, 11th O'Reilly 400K Brendan Gaughan, first