2002 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Race Facts & Notes Of Interest WHAT: Missouri-Illinois Dodge Dealers Ram Tough 200 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Race 4 of 22 Events WHERE: Gateway International Raceway, St. Louis, Mo. 1.25-mile, paved ...
2002 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Race Facts & Notes Of Interest
Missouri-Illinois Dodge Dealers Ram Tough 200
NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Race 4 of 22 Events
Gateway International Raceway, St. Louis, Mo.
1.25-mile, paved speedway
Sunday, May 5, 2002
200 Miles, 160 Laps
36 trucks. Fastest 32 trucks through time trials with three provisional starting positions available to owners based on final 2001 owner point standings and one provisional starting position available to a NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series champion driver or champion owner.
National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc. (NASCAR)
Gateway International Motorsports Corporation
Airtime: May 5, 2002, 4:00 p.m. ET
RADIO: MRN (Live)
Air Time: 3:30 p.m. ET
SCHEDULE (times listed are local):
Saturday, May 4
10:30 a.m. - Practice until 11:40 a.m.
12:45 p.m. - Practice until 1:45 p.m.
2:45 p.m. - Time Trials
4:00 p.m. - Final practice until 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, May 5
3:00 p.m. - Start of MISSOURI-ILLINOIS DODGE DEALERS RAM TOUGH 200
QUALIFYING: Stacy Compton 8/19/99 133.093 mph 33.811 sec.
RACE: Jack Sprague 5/7/00 113.726 mph 1 hr. 45 min. 31 sec.
RAM TOUGH 200 SUMMARY
* The Ram Tough 200 is the first stand-alone event of the 2002 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series season. Three previous races have been run in combination with NASCAR Winston Cup Series weekends, most recently at Martinsville, Va.
* Ultra Motorsports teammates Ted Musgrave and Scott Riggs finished one-two at Gateway International Raceway in 2001. Musgrave returns to defend his victory while Jason Leffler has succeeded Riggs in the Team ASE Racing/Carquest Dodge. Leffler finished 15th in his only NASCAR Busch Series appearance at Gateway in 2000.
* Musgrave, among entered competitors, has led the most series laps at Gateway - 140, all last season. No entered driver has led more than one race at the track.
* The 1999 event produced the most lead lap finishers - 16. Only six drivers were able to complete all 160 laps of the 2001 Ram Tough 200.
* Rick Crawford, having completed 634 of 640 laps, tops all competitors expected to compete in this year's race. His 8.0 finishing average is best among all drivers with multiple starts at Gateway International Raceway.
* Terry Cook definitely has a handle on Gateway International Raceway, posting finishes of fourth, fourth and second over his most recent three appearances.
* Until Travis Kvapil finished fifth in 2001, no Raybestos Rookie contender had finished among the top five at Gateway International Raceway. The best previous finish by a freshman was Mike Stefanik's sixth-place in 1999.
* Last year's margin of victory, 10.428 seconds, ranks third widest in NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series history. There has been just one margin of less than one second in four series races at Gateway International Raceway.
* The number of caution laps run at Gateway has decreased each year, beginning with 27 in 1998 and falling to just 13 a year ago.