* Brendan Gaughan was the RaybestosÂ® Rookie of the Race in the MBNA 200 at Dover International Speedway. Gaughan finished seventh, his second top-10 finish of the 2002 season and best finish recorded by a rookie in 2002. He was the only ...
* Brendan Gaughan was the Raybestos® Rookie of the Race in the MBNA 200 at Dover International Speedway. Gaughan finished seventh, his second top-10 finish of the 2002 season and best finish recorded by a rookie in 2002. He was the only Raybestos® Rookie to complete all 200 laps of the race. Gaughan was also the highest qualifying rookie at Dover, taking the 13th starting position in time trials.
* Gaughan has been top finishing rookie in more races than any other driver this season. Entering Friday's O'Reilly 400K at Texas Motor Speedway, Gaughan have taken home the honor three times.
* Gaughan stretched his lead in the Raybestos® Rookie Contender standings to nine points (65-56) over Jason Small entering Friday's race at Texas.
* Six Raybestos Rookies started the MBNA 200 at Dover, and four were running at the finish: Gaughan, Bill Lester (12th), Trent Owens (15th), and Jason Small (21st). Mechanical problems sidelined Rodney Sawyers (24th) and Angie Wilson (34th).
* Eight Raybestos® Rookies qualified for the Rocky Mountain 200 at Pikes Peak International Raceway, equaling the most first year drivers that have started a Craftsman Truck Series race this season. Eight first year drivers also took the green flag in the Ram Tough 200 at Gateway International Raceway.
* Entering Friday's O'Reilly 400K at Texas, no Raybestos® Rookie Contender has led a lap this season.
* Only three Raybestos® Rookies have started all six races entering the O'Reilly 400K: Gaughan, Small, and Lester.
* Gaughan is 12th in Craftsman Truck Series points, best of all Raybestos® Rookie Contenders. He is tied with Jon Wood and is just 14 behind 10th place Travis Kvapil. Gaughan is 18 ahead of 13th place Lance Norrick and enjoys a 42 point edge over 14th place Bobby Dotter.
* Several members of this year's rookie class have experience at Texas Motor Speedway: Brendan Gaughan, Trent Owens, Randy Briggs, and Donnie Neuenberger. Gaughan started 30th last June and finished second in the event, leading the race once for nine laps. Neuenberger started both races at Texas last year and posted his best finish, a 19th place effort, in the June race. Owens ran a solid race at Texas in June on his way to an 18th place finish. Briggs was sidelined with radiator problems in the October event and was credited with 30th in the final finishing order.
* Ricky Hendrick was the Raybestos Rookie of the Race in the last year's O'Reilly 400K at Texas. Hendrick finished fifth and was the only freshman driver to complete all 167 laps of the race. Fellow rookie Nathan Haseleu finished tenth, giving the class two members who placed inside the top-10. The rest of the class: Travis Kvapil (11th), Matt Crafton (16th), Billy Bigley (22nd), Ricky Sanders (24th), Willy T. Ribbs (25th), Chuck Hossfeld (27th), and Larry Gunselman (30th). Gunselman, who was sidelined by engine failure, was the only rookie who wasn't running at the finish of the race.
* Kvapil was the only rookie to lead at least one lap in last year's O'Reilly 400K at Texas. He held the top spot once for 19 laps. He was also the highest qualifying rookie, taking the fifth starting spot in time trials.
<pre> RAYBESTOS® ROOKIE CONTENDER POINT STANDINGS
DRIVER POINTS Brendan Gaughan 65 Jason Small 56 Bill Lester 52 Trent Owens 47 Rodney Sawyers 34 Angie Wilson 26 Loni Richardson 20 Dana White 8 Randy Briggs 7
HIGHEST FINISHING RAYBESTOS® ROOKIES BY RACE
EVENT HIGHEST FINISHING ROOKIE Florida Dodge Dealers 250 Jason Small, ninth Craftsman Anniversary 200 Trent Owens, 15th Advance Auto Parts 250 Brendan Gaughan, ninth Ram Tough 200 Brendan Gaughan, 11th Rocky Mountain 200 Trent Owens, 14th MBNA 200 Brendan Gaughan, 11th