Bristol: Red Horse Racing race report

TIMOTHY PETERS RALLIES BACK FROM CONTACT TO FINISH EIGHTH AT BRISTOL MOTOR SPEEDWAY Peters was a victim of hard racing in "Thunder Valley" when contact with another competitor took away his chances for a win. Unwilling to give up he charged...


Peters was a victim of hard racing in "Thunder Valley" when contact with another competitor took away his chances for a win. Unwilling to give up he charged back and earned his 13th top-10 finish of the season.

BRISTOL, TN. (Aug 18)- Timothy Peters was looking forward to hitting the track at Bristol Motor Speedway. Growing up racing on tracks of similar size, Peters saw the "world's fastest half-mile" as a welcome challenge. Coming off four straight top-10 finishes, the pressure was on the #17 Red Horse Racing team to keep the streak alive. They unloaded a truck that could contend for the win and Peters put the #17 Tundra in the seventh starting spot. Taking the lead early on, Peters could tell he had a truck capable of winning the race; he just had to survive through the carnage Bristol is known for. With less than 50 laps to go, Peters was holding his position in the second spot when a hard charging competitor tried to take it away. The two trucks battled side by side for several laps before tempers flared and the other competitor got into the back of the #17 and turned him towards the outside wall. Peters washed up the track and made contact with the wall. He brought the #17 machine to pit road to repair the right front damage. Marred back in the 16th spot, Peters was unwilling to accept that fate. He rallied back in the final 30 laps eventually reaching the eighth spot when the checkered flag waved.

The #17 Red Horse Racing team unloaded on Friday morning and prepared for two practice sessions. Right from the start, Peters' Tundra was driving really well on the high banks of Bristol Motor Speedway. He was fastest in first practice and fifth quick in final practice. Peters put the Wiss Toyota in the seventh starting spot for the O'Reilly Auto Parts 200.

Just as the sun set on the half-mile Tennessee track, 36 competitors took the green flag for the 200-lap short track shoot-out. Peters got a great start and took the fourth spot by lap eight. The first of many cautions came out on lap 11 and Peters reported that his truck was tight in and free off the corners. He restarted fourth on lap 17 and got such a great start that he had the lead coming down the backstretch on lap 18. Peters was able to hold off the field during three more restarts. He told the team his truck was overall really good but a little sung in the center of turns one and two. When the caution flag flew on lap 35, crew chief Jeff Hensley called his driver to pit road for four fresh tires and fuel. He also gave Peters an air pressure adjustment to help with the snug condition. Since most of the other trucks stayed out, Peters restarted from the 21st spot. Just eight laps later, the #17 had reached the 13th spot. The forward march continued as the laps clicked off. Peters claimed the fifth spot on lap 72 and then the caution came out again on lap 84. Peters had been tapped from behind and a piece of the rear bumper was hanging off his truck. Not seeing any other issues, Hensley told his driver to stay out on the race track. Peters reported this he was still too tight in turn one.

He restarted fourth on lap 95 and in just one lap took the second spot. Reporting that the truck was starting to come to him, Peters continued to run down the leader. As the #17 was chasing the lead, the third place truck began pressuring Peters. The two raced side by side for several laps and Peters wasn't willing to give up the spot. Eventually that truck made contact with the #17 on lap 164 and pushed him up the race track. Peters slid up the track and hit the outside wall with his right front tire. The contact knocked the toe out and resulted in substantial right front damage. He brought his Tundra to pit road on lap 165 to have the team repair the right front fender. Putting on two fresh right side tires and banging out the damage, the team made sure the fender was no longer rubbing the tires.

After running second for so many laps, Peters found himself in the 16th spot for the restart. He was determined to make his way back inside the top-10. He reached the 13th spot by lap 195 and then an accident on lap 198 put the race under red flag conditions. Peters was able to think about strategy during the red flag and by the time he lined up for the green, white, checkered finish, he was ready to go. Restarting ninth, Peters fought as hard as he could on those last two laps and took the checkered flag in the eighth position. Peters earned his 13th top-10 of the season and is currently third in the Camping World Truck Series driver point standings.

The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series heads to Chicago, Illinois next week.

-source: rhr

Write a comment
Show comments
About this article
Series NASCAR Truck
Drivers Timothy Peters
Teams Red Horse Racing