NOTES: * This Week's Race Car at Watkins Glen International, Chassis No. 117, is the same race car that helped Gordon become known as "King of the Road," in 2003 by sweeping both road course races at Infineon Raceway in June and Watkins Glen in...
* This Week's Race Car at Watkins Glen International, Chassis No. 117, is the same race car that helped Gordon become known as "King of the Road," in 2003 by sweeping both road course races at Infineon Raceway in June and Watkins Glen in August. Gordon also raced the same car at Infineon earlier this year, when a mechanical problem derailed Gordon and team and forced them to settle for a 34th-place finish.
* Four out of five at The Glen ... Robby Gordon has scored four top-five finishes in five races at Watkins Glen, including a victory last year that completed Gordon's sweep of both NASCAR Cup road course races in 2003, which put Gordon in the books as only the second driver to win both road course races in the same season. In 2001, he was on his way to finishing inside the top-five when the telemetry box caught on fire inside his car.
* Gordon preparing for tripleheader at Bristol ... To prepare for the upcoming 500-lap, short-track event later this month at Bristol Motor Speedway, Gordon and Team Cingular are testing at the track August 10 and 11. Gordon will compete in all three NASCAR Series events at the speedway August 25 - 28, including the Craftsman Truck, Busch and Cup Series races.
PLEASE NOTE: Gordon will visit the BMS Media Center at 12:15 p.m. EDT on Wed., Aug. 11, to discuss his "tripleheader" weekend. For more information, please contact Ben Trout at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* RC takes a bite out of the Big Apple ... Richard Childress is making a special trip to New York City Tues., Aug. 10, to meet NASCAR fans and sign autographs from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. EDT at the Cingular Wireless store located on Fifth (575) and 47th in New York.
* Listen and watch ... The Sirius at The Glen will broadcast live starting at 2 p.m. EDT Sunday, Aug. 15, on TNT, MRN and XM Radio. Qualifying for The Sirius at The Glen will broadcast live starting at 3:10 p.m. EDT Friday, Aug. 13, on SPEED, MRN and XM Radio.
Team Cingular Quotes:
R. Gordon on racing at Watkins Glen International:
"I don't know what it is about returning to a track as a race winner. Most of the time you get a bigger welcome back than the rest of the guys, and along with that comes some pressure but a lot of it is what you put on yourself. You know you can win because you've won there before, so it is 10 times more frustrating when you are not quite where you want to be as the weekend progresses. It's even more unnerving if the outcome isn't even in the ball park. At the same time, it all depends which track you are talking about. I love The Glen. It's like I'm heading to New York to visit an old friend.
What Gordon remembers most about his 2003 win at The Glen:
"It's always great to win, but that win [at The Glen] last year was extra special because I had come so close so many times before, kind of like Mark Martin at Pocono.
"As soon as the race got underway last year I told the guys the car felt great. I think we gained almost 10 positions in less than 20 laps, or close to it.
"Pit strategy was the key. We stayed out during a couple of cautions and that really helped me gain some valuable track position. I know we were in the top 10 after that second time we opted to stay out.
"I didn't have the best car last year at The Glen, but Team Cingular made the best calls and some great pit stops. I didn't win that race alone and not one race winner ever does. I don't know how to say this without sounding too confident, but it was like we took over the last quarter of the race and led the way the rest of the day. I wouldn't mind if it played out the same this year.
"I do have an entire new group of guys going with me up there this year, except for my crew chief Chris Andrews and my gear guy, John Dillon. Pretty much everyone else is new, but it's a great group of guys and they each work so hard. I really want to get a win for them, Cingular Wireless and RC [Richard Childress]."