KASEY KAHNE QUOTES "We've got to keep it up this week at Watkins Glen. It'll be a tough track, but we had a good test up there and hopefully everything goes smooth up there all day. If we can leave there with a top 15 we'll be happy."...
KASEY KAHNE QUOTES
"We've got to keep it up this week at Watkins Glen. It'll be a tough track, but we had a good test up there and hopefully everything goes smooth up there all day. If we can leave there with a top 15 we'll be happy." Hopefully I can take what I learned in Sonoma with me this weekend. I enjoy (roadcourse racing). I learned a lot at Infineon and enjoy road racing a lot. We had a good test there a couple of weeks ago. We should have a good weekend."
ON RACING WITH TEAMMATE, MAYFIELD, TO MAKE THE CHASE FOR NEXTEL CUP
"I think there's some pressure because we both want to finish in there and we're so close. Everybody in the shop is excited, and the engine shop, and Jeremy is having fun and I'm having fun. Hopefully we both get in. We've got great racecars. If we keep it up and keep getting consistent finishes, maybe we'll get both Evernham cars in the final 10."
STATS & FACTS
CLOSING IN ON THE LEADERS
* After racing at Indianapolis, Kahne moved up to 11th in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series points standings. He is now only 31 points out of the top 10 and 227 points out of the top five. After 21 races, Kahne maintains a commanding 65-point lead in the Raybestos Rookie-of-the-Year standings.
* Kahne has collected three top tens and two top fives in the past three races (eighth, third and fourth, respectively).
DEBUT AT THE GLEN
* This weekend's race will mark Kahne's first start at Watkins Glen International. The No. 9 team tested at the roadcourse earlier this month.
FAST ON FRIDAYS
* Kahne earned his fourth pole (Las Vegas, Darlington, California and Pocono) and his second track qualifying record (Las Vegas, Pocono) at Pocono in June.
* Evernham Motorsports has set three track qualifying records this season (Kahne -- Las Vegas and Pocono (a), Mayfield -- Dover).
* Kahne, with four poles in 2004 is challenging Ryan Newman's record six poles in a rookie season.
* Kahne tied Art Watts (1957) for the quickest any driver has reached four career poles -- 14 races.
A NEW LOOK FOR SUMMER
* The No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge will continue to run its new paint scheme this weekend at Watkins Glen. The new scheme will run through the August 28th race in Bristol in support of Dodge's Summer Sales Drive.
GETTING OUT FRONT
* Kahne's 349 laps led are more than five times the combined amount of laps led by the five other 2004 Raybestos Rookie-of-the-Year candidates. Kahne's seven top-five finishes this year rank first among all rookies -- his closest competitor having only one.
LAST WEEKEND AT INDY
* Kahne started 12th and was running eighth when his left front tire was cut down on the 59th circuit. Team Director Tommy Baldwin elected to change all four tires on the stop and check for damage to the left front fender of the No. 9 Dodge. Kahne returned to the track 39th, the lone car one lap down. He caught a break on the fourth caution on lap 69, getting the lap back. The No. 9 DEW Crew changed four tires, made a slight chassis adjustment and checked for damage to the fender once again. He was back on the track in the 38th spot. By lap 75, Kahne had worked his way to 22nd and was 13th at lap 88. The seventh caution fell on lap 89. A quick four-tire stop and chassis adjustment by the Dew Crew had Kahne back on the track in the 16th position even with some teams electing to make two-tire stops. Kahne had worked his way to ninth by lap 112, setting the stage for the final pit stop under caution on lap 126. The No. 9 crew gained another spot with quick pit work. Kahne worked his way to fifth by lap 130 and held the position until the final lap when he took over the fourth spot. Kahne would hold onto the fourth position to finish the race for his third consecutive top 10 and his second consecutive top five, moving him up to 11th in the Cup Standings.