No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Charger Race Facts JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES "We tested two days at The Glen. We've been wide open the last couple of weeks. We saved a few tests last year. This year, we're going all out and getting all we...
No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Charger Race Facts
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
"We tested two days at The Glen. We've been wide open the last couple of weeks. We saved a few tests last year. This year, we're going all out and getting all we can and letting the last 10 races go. I'd rather make sure we get in the top 10 than save some tests just in case we do.
"We had a great car at Indy and a solid finish. We want that kind of effort at Watkins Glen. We had two good days of testing on the road course with our Dodge Charger, and we expect to unload Friday with a good race setup. Our road course program continues to improve. We're going to Watkins Glen confident that we've put forth the preparation for a successful weekend.
"The key is to not make mistakes, but if you do, keep fighting back. That's been our goal all year. It's not about the good days -- they're going to come. It's taking the bad days and not giving up, fighting just as hard for one more spot as you would if you were battling for the lead. Slugger (Labbe, crew chief) and the team have done that all year. This team won't leave anything on the table.
"We had a top-10 finish (seventh) at The Glen last year and qualified in the top 15 (12th). We finished seventh at Sonoma earlier this year. We've worked hard on our road course program at Evernham Motorsports, and the effort is paying off. "
MAYFIELD AT WATKINS GLEN
* Mayfield has competed in nine races at Watkins Glen with one top-five and two top-10 finishes at the track. He has led nine laps at the New York roadcourse, and has an 18.7 average finish there.
* Mayfield earned his best finish of third at the track in 2001. He earned his best Watkins Glen qualifying position of ninth in the 1995 race.
MOST RECENT RUN AT THE GLEN
* Mayfield, driving what he called the best car he's had on a road course, collected his second career top-10 finish at Watkins Glen in 2004. Great pit strategy allowed Mayfield to make his final pit stop of the day on lap 57 of 90, and he moved from a restart position of 23rd to finish seventh on the day.
LEAVING NOTHING ON THE TABLE
* Mayfield ranks second on the Nextel Cup circuit in laps completed (99.2%) among drivers who have competed in every race this year. Mayfield has finished 16 of 21 races on the lead lap, and has only one DNF in 2005.
MAYFIELD SURGES TO EIGHTH IN POINTS RACE
* Mayfield is on pace to repeat as a 'Chase for the Nextel Cup 'contender in 2005. He surged to eighth in the points standings after racing at Chicago, and he's currently 92 points from the fifth spot.
* Mayfield's current point total of 2,554 is 44 points ahead of his total after 21 races in 2004. Mayfield qualified for the 2004 Chase for the Nextel Cup by just 22 points after a thrilling victory at Richmond.
* Mayfield participated in a two-day test session at Watkins Glen International earlier this month. Speeds of the test were not released.
* The No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge team also completed a two-day test session at Michigan International Speedway this Tuesday, August 9.
2005 CAREER BESTS
* Mayfield's fourth place finish at Indy last weekend was a career-high finish at the historic track. Mayfield also notched a career-best finish at Talladega when he finished fourth there in April, and he tied his career-best seventh place finish at Infineon Raceway in June.