JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES "I feel really good going into (Watkins Glen) because I feel like I've gotten better on the road courses. I'm excited about it. I feel like we've got a great road course program now. It's certainly helped me a lot....
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
"I feel really good going into (Watkins Glen) because I feel like I've gotten better on the road courses. I'm excited about it. I feel like we've got a great road course program now. It's certainly helped me a lot. That's a place I don't dread going to. When we used to go to Sears Point, I didn't want to go. I always liked going to Watkins Glen. I feel like with what we know now and how much better our program is we'll be in good shape. We've focused on that a lot. We feel like it's going to be one of the places we're going to be able to capitalize on. We've always had good runs there. Something would either happen to me during the race, but we've always run good there and we're excited about it. We know that it will be a key place to run well at, just like all of 'em from here on out, but it could definitely be a turning point for us."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT WATKINS GLEN
* Mayfield has made eight starts at Watkins Glen with one top-five and one top-10 at the track. His best finish of third came at the track in 2001. He earned his best start of ninth in 1995.
THE CHASE IS ON
* Mayfield moved to 12th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series points standings after racing at Indianapolis. He is now just 32 points out of 10th place and 228 points out of fifth.
* This is the highest Mayfield has ranked in the second half of a NASCAR Cup season since 1999 when he ranked as high as 10th in the standings.
IT JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER
* Mayfield is NASCAR's most improved driver in the Cup Series so far this season. His current rank of 12th is 18 positions better than he stood at this point last year.
* After 21 races, Mayfield's average finish (15.67) is nine spots ahead of what it was at this point last year. He has also earned 637 more points and has led 136 more laps.
A NEW LOOK FOR SUMMER
* The No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge will continue to run its new paint scheme this weekend in Watkins Glen. The new scheme will run through the August 28th race in Bristol in support of Dodge's Summer Sales Drive.
LAST WEEKEND AT INDY
* Mayfield started 13th in his Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge, posting a time of 49.026 seconds at 183.576 mph. By lap 22 Mayfield had worked his way to fifth and was third by lap 25. He stayed in or near the top 10 for the next 100 laps. Mayfield made his final pit stop on lap 126 and restarted seventh. He moved to sixth by lap 146, but was having trouble getting the No. 19 Dodge to turn in the middle of the corners. He was 10th with four laps top go but surrendered the spot on the lap 159, which nixed his bid for his fourth straight top-10 finish. The race ended under NASCAR's green-white-checkered rule, which was put into place two races ago. Mayfield is now 12th in the point standings, just 32 points out of 10th and 228 out of fifth.