Scott Wimmer on this weekend's race at Texas Motor Speedway-- "I'm excited to go back to Texas," said Wimmer. "We went there to test last week and thought we had made some pretty significant gains since we raced in Atlanta. We spent our first...
Scott Wimmer on this weekend's race at Texas Motor Speedway--
"I'm excited to go back to Texas," said Wimmer. "We went there to test last week and thought we had made some pretty significant gains since we raced in Atlanta. We spent our first day just working on qualifying. We made several runs and thought we were more competitive then we have been on the 1.5-mile tracks. We learned quite a bit about the car and what lines were faster. We're still not quite where we need to be, but I think the test will help us a lot when we go back.
"I guarantee we'll be a lot better then we were in Atlanta. But, Texas isn' t Atlanta and Atlanta isn't Texas. So, we'll just have to wait and see where we stack up when we get back to Texas. I had some health issues when we raced in Atlanta and I have those cleared up now, so that should also help us. I have a chronic inner ear problem that gives me the symptoms of vertigo, so I have had tubes in my ears for a couple years now. They must have fallen out sometime since the season began and that was definitely giving me some problems with my balance."
Frank Stoddard on last weekend's race at Bristol Motor Speedway--
"It is really disappointing that we got penalized a lap from what happened with Stewart and Craven," said Stoddard. "We could have spun Craven out, but instead Scott does the right thing and lets him gather it back up. I just don't think that NASCAR saw what everyone else saw. I talked to David Hoot this week and he hadn't seen the replay yet. So, I guess I will wait and see what he has to say when we get to Texas. I hope they will see what I and everyone else saw and will apologize to Scott and the Caterpillar team."
Texas Motor Speedway Notables--
* This will mark Wimmer's first start in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series at Texas Motor Speedway. Wimmer made three starts in the Busch Series, scoring two top 15 finishes.
* The #22 team tested at Texas Motor Speedway last week in preparation for this week's race. They made qualifying runs the first day and race runs the second.
* Wimmer was the top finishing Raybestos Rookie for the second race this season.
* Wimmer is second in the Raybestos Rookie of the Year standings, 19 points behind Kasey Kahne.
Cat equipment for the Samsung/Radio Shack 500--
* Wimmer and the No. 22 Caterpillar team are taking car #81 to Texas Motor Speedway. It is a brand new car that the team tested last week.