Jeremy Mayfield No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Intrepid RACING AT TEXAS "I really like going to Texas. They've made a lot of improvements since we first started racing there. It's similar to a lot of the tracks we go to but it's a little ...
No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Intrepid
RACING AT TEXAS
"I really like going to Texas. They've made a lot of improvements since we first started racing there. It's similar to a lot of the tracks we go to but it's a little different in some ways too, like in the banking and how you get into the corners. I got the first pole there so that's kind of cool. I don't know what to expect this year. Track position will be important, and you have to have a good handling car. Pit stops will be important too. They always are."
GOING TO TEXAS
"Texas is always a fun place to go to because there's so much to do. The guys are always looking for a good place to eat steaks, and Kenny (Francis, team director) loves barbecue. I'm sure he'll eat it every night we're there. I know Shana (wife) will want to do some shopping there too. They've got those huge malls in Texas. We've spent a little bit of time in there before, and I'm sure we'll be back there again this year."
Jeremy Mayfield is scheduled to drive the No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge that he drove at Las Vegas earlier this season. He also won the pole and the Winston Open with this Dodge in 2002.
CAREER AT TEXAS
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's 280th career start in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series and seventh career visit to Texas Motor Speedway. He has one pole, one top-five, two top-10s and has led three races for a total of 125 laps at the track. Mayfield's first start at the track came in April of 1997, where he started 20th (qualifying was set due to rain) and finished 32nd.
RIDIN' HIGH IN TEXAS
* Mayfield earned the very first Winston Cup pole position at Texas Motor Speedway in April of 1998. Qualifying was rained out for the first Winston Cup race at Texas in 1997, and no Bud Pole was awarded. Mayfield's best finish at the track came in 1998 when he started 27th and finished fifth.
MOST RECENT RUN AT TEXAS
* Mayfield benefited from a top-10 starting spot in last year's Samsung/Radio Shack 500 at Texas in his No. 19 Dodge Dealers Intrepid. His seventh place start was his best since grabbing the pole at the track in 1998. The Dew Crew made a number of changes throughout the day including adding tape to the grill and running on scuffed tires. Mayfield was making a charge toward the leaders late in the race when a caution came out just a few laps after he pitted and took on two tires. There were not enough laps left in the race for Mayfield to make up the spots. He finished 18th.
* Jeremy Mayfield started 18th place at last weekend's Food City 500 at Bristol. He made contact on the track less than 10 laps into the event, forcing him into the pits for repair. The Dew Crew worked diligently to repair the damage and continued to improve the handling of Mayfield's Dodge throughout the day. Mayfield was able to stay out of any major trouble for the duration of the race. He brought home his No. 19 Dodge in 23rd place. Mayfield loses three spots in the Winston Cup points race, currently in 29th place. He is two points behind his teammate in the standings and 77 points out of the top 20.
WINSTON CUP CAREER RECORD
* Coming into the 2003 Samsung/Radio Shack 500 at Texas Motor Speedway, Mayfield has made 279 starts, with six poles (two at Talladega and one at Darlington, Dover, Rockingham, and Texas), three wins (two at Pocono, and one at California), 35 top-fives and 63 top-10s. His most recent win came at Pocono in June of 2000. His last pole came at the Pop Secret Popcorn 400 in Rockingham, N.C. in 2000.