Johnson looking forward to Talladega; Team Lowe's Racing hopes to continue top 10 streak, TALLADEGA, Ala. (October 1, 2002) - Team Lowe's Racing is hoping to continue its string of successful runs at superspeedways this season. The Lowe's team...
Johnson looking forward to Talladega; Team Lowe's Racing hopes to continue top 10 streak,
TALLADEGA, Ala. (October 1, 2002) - Team Lowe's Racing is hoping to continue its string of successful runs at superspeedways this season. The Lowe's team has two poles (Daytona 500 and Talladega 500) and averages a 10th place finish in superspeedway events.
After taking over the points lead following its 18th top 10 of the season at Kansas Speedway, the Lowe's team is looking forward to returning to a place where it has run well this season, but is cognizant that at Talladega, you do not always control your own fate and can easily be caught up in the middle of the dreaded "big one" that can end a teams day and cost it valuable championship points.
Jimmie Johnson on racing at Talladega Superspeedway "The Lowe's team has run well on the superspeedways this season. We have two poles and haven't finished outside of the top 15. The superspeedways is a type of racetrack that I don't have all that much experience on, but I feel like I'm getting better with each race on them and I'm learning more about the draft and using it to your advantage. The nice thing about the superspeedways, if you have a strong car and are moving forward, usually the guys will work with you."
Johnson on keeping his emotions in check since taking the points lead "It won't be a worry until we get to the last couple of races. There is just too much to worry about with Talladega and Martinsville."
Chad Knaus on the new fuel cell "I personally don't think that the fuel cell will make that big of a difference in the race. I really think that they are just adding three more pit stops. The draft is active enough and with restrictor plates on these cars, I think that the cars will just get together and be able to work themselves back to the front."
Jimmie Johnson Fast Facts * Ranks first in the Winston Cup Series championship standings, 11 points ahead of Mark Martin
* Is the first Raybestos Rookie contender to lead the Winston Cup points race
* Has won three NASCAR Winston Cup races this season (California, Dover - Spring and Dover - Fall)
* Is tied for the fastest modern day driver to reach two wins
* Has three wins, six top-five and 18 top-10 finishes in 29 races
* Has four Bud Pole positions this season, tied for the most in NASCAR Winston Cup (, Daytona, Talladega, Lowe's Motor Speedway and Richmond)
* Is 25 points back in the Raybestos Rookie of the Year Competition (341-316)
* Has been the highest finishing rookie 14 times this season
* The 18 top-10 finishes is tied for the most in the Winston Cup Series (Las Vegas - 6th, Atlanta - 3rd, Darlington - 6th, Bristol - 7th, Texas - 6th, Talladega - 7th, California - 1st, Lowe's Motor Speedway - 7th, Dover (Spring) - 1st, Pocono - 3rd, Daytona (Pepsi 400) - 8th, Chicagoland - 4th, Indianapolis - 9th, Michigan - 7th, Darlington - 9th and New Hampshire - 9th, Dover (Fall) - 1st and Kansas - 10th)
* Only the third rookie in history to win the Daytona 500 pole
* Only the second rookie in history to win a pole at Talladega Superspeedway
* Holds the NWC qualifying record at Lowe's Motor Speedway
* Has led eleven Winston Cup Series races this season (Las Vegas, Talladega, California, Lowe's Motor Speedway, Dover, Michigan, Chicago, Pocono, Darlington (Southern 500) and Richmond (Fall) and Dover (Fall))
Jimmie Johnson at Talladega Superspeedway
* Johnson has competed in one Winston Cup Series event and he started 1st and finished 7th
* In the Busch Series, 28.50th was his average qualifying and finishing positions
* His record at Talladega Superspeedway is: Touchstone Energy 300 - * 2000: started 28th and finished 29th Subway 300 - 2001: started 29th * and finished 28th
No. 48 Lowe's Chevrolet Fast Facts
* Team Lowe's Racing will bring car 4856
* This is the same race car that won the pole positions at Daytona and Talladega earlier this season. It finished 15th in the Daytona 500, 7th in the Aaron's 499 at Talladega and 8th in the Pepsi 400 at Daytona this season