STATESVILLE, N.C. -- Elliott Sadler and the No. 19 Best Buy Dodge team are hoping a trip back to a restrictor-plate racetrack can provide the shot in the arm needed to start building some positive momentum as the season heads into its second ...
STATESVILLE, N.C. -- Elliott Sadler and the No. 19 Best Buy Dodge team are hoping a trip back to a restrictor-plate racetrack can provide the shot in the arm needed to start building some positive momentum as the season heads into its second quarter. Sadler, who recorded his only top-five finish of 2009 in the season-opening Daytona 500, is looking forward to a strong outing at the 2.66--mile Alabama superspeedway. Sadler ranks 12th in points among all drivers over the last 10 Sprint Cup Series races at Talladega and led at least one lap in his last 12 starts.
ON TALLADEGA SUPERSPEEDWAY: "Talladega is a 200-mph chess match. It's crazy to think that we have 43 drivers out there running wide open at three and four wide for almost four hours. Everyone has to be perfect. One person's small mistake turns into 'The Big One' - the trick is to make sure that you are no where near the person that makes the mistake. My goal has always been to be going forward and not backward when I cross the finish line. If I can cross the finish line with little or no damage and heading in the right direction I know I've had a good day."
ON UPCOMING BIRTHDAY: "I'm excited to get a little older. I'm starting a new chapter in my life with my wife and really enjoying where I am personally. I don't really have any big parties planned or anything too crazy. I'm just going out to dinner with friends and family in Richmond (Va.). It'll be a good time - it always is when you are surrounded by family and friends."
ON ALL-STAR FAN VOTING: "I want to race my way in to the All-Star race for sure - in fact it would be nice to win this weekend in Talladega and not worry about it anymore, but just to be sure if there are any fans out there that want to lend a hand I think it would be a great honor to win the fan vote. Kasey (Kahne) won the fan vote last year and then went out and won the All-Star Race - that was really a cool deal. I'd like to try and make it two years in a row for Richard Petty Motorsports."
Additional Notes of Interest
* Vote Elliott Sadler into the All-Star Race at www.nascar.com
* Sadler is wearing a specially designed Autism Awareness themed helmet at Talladega.
* The Autism Awareness helmet will go up for auction at www.sadlerfoundation.org at 8 a.m. on April 30. The auction will close on May 19. All proceeds from the auction will go to benefit autism related charities.
* Sadler's Autism Awareness helmets worn the past two years have raised a total of $13,567 through online auctions hosted by the Hermie and Elliott Sadler Foundation's Web site. ($6,900 - 2008, $6667 - 2007)
* Sadler will celebrate his 34th birthday on Thursday, April 30.
* Sadler has won the pole position three times at Talladega Superspeedway (fall '03, fall '05 and spring '06) and has seven top-10 starts.
* In 19 career starts at Talladega Superspeedway, Sadler has one top-five and three top-10 finishes. He has led 105 laps, including at least one lap in his last 12 Talladega starts.
* Chassis No. 227 will serve as the primary. No. 227 led 24 laps and finished fifth in the Daytona 500.