Sacks elects to sit out until Pepsi 400 By Shawn A. Akers CONCORD, N.C. (May 5, 1998) Greg Sacks, driver of Cale Yarborough's No. 98 Thorn Apple Valley Ford, isn't taking any chances with his health. Until he's 100 percent ...
Sacks elects to sit out until Pepsi 400 By Shawn A. Akers CONCORD, N.C. (May 5, 1998)
Greg Sacks, driver of Cale Yarborough's No. 98 Thorn Apple Valley Ford, isn't taking any chances with his health. Until he's 100 percent recovered from injuries suffered in a hard crash in the Texas 500 at Texas Motor Speedway on April 5, he won't defy doctors' orders and get back in his race car.
Sacks will not likely make his return to NASCAR Winston Cup Series competition until the Pepsi 400 at Daytona International Speedway on July 4, a spokesperson for the team said Tuesday.
Team public relations representative Karen Lemmon said that although Sacks "feels very good both mentally and physically right now," he'll heed his physician's advice and stay out of the car until he's 100 percent healthy.
"A lot of drivers feel the need to get back in the car, while risking another injury, but Greg's being patient," Lemmon said. "He understands the advantage of being completely healthy, and he knows it's the right thing to do. He doesn't want to come back early and not be competitive, and he doesn't want to endanger himself or the other competitors, either."
Lemmon said Sacks visited the doctor last Wednesday and had an MRI done. The deep bruise he suffered in his neck at Texas has not completely disappeared yet, but the coloring is beginning to fade.
Sacks is, however, still experiencing some numbness in his arm. He is undergoing physical therapy to help alleviate that condition.
In the interim, Lemmon said Rich Bickle will continue to drive the No. 98 Ford Taurus, hoping to break a disappointing skein of races. Bickle has failed to make the field for the last two races, at Talladega Superspeedway and California Speedway in Fontana, after qualifying well but finishing 41st at Martinsville Speedway in mid-April, his first race replacing Sacks.
Bickle will drive the car in The Winston all-star race at Charlotte Motor Speedway on May 16. The invitation for Cale Yarborough's team to compete in the race comes as a result of John Andretti's victory in Yarborough's car in last year's Pepsi 400.
Bickle will do some testing at Charlotte later this week and at Michigan next week in preparation for the Miller Lite 400, set for June 14 at Michigan Speedway in Brooklyn. Source: NASCAR Online