Jeremy Mayfield No. 19 Dodge Dealers Intrepid R/T RUNNING AT ROCKINGHAM "I've had some decent runs at Rockingham. I've had the pole and a couple of top-10 runs. We got in a little trouble earlier this year, but we should be okay this time ...
No. 19 Dodge Dealers Intrepid R/T
RUNNING AT ROCKINGHAM
"I've had some decent runs at Rockingham. I've had the pole and a couple of top-10 runs. We got in a little trouble earlier this year, but we should be okay this time around. That's part of it. A lot can happen at that track. It can change, and tires are usually pretty important there."
"I think Tony Stewart will win the championship. That's just my opinion and probably because those guys have been together a while. They've got plenty of experience, and they're running good. I don't think the pressure would bother him like it's appeared to some other teams. I think he'll be the champion."
* Jeremy Mayfield is scheduled to drive the No 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge that he ran in the last two races at Bristol and Dover, and the most recent Charlotte race.
STATS & FACTS
* This weekend's race marks Mayfield's 271st career start in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series and 16th visit to North Carolina Speedway. Mayfield's best finish at Rockingham came in spring of 1999 when he finished fifth after qualifying fourth. Mayfield has one top-five, three top-tens, and has led four races for 214 laps at Rockingham. He earned his fourth pole position of 2000 in the fall race at Rockingham that year.
* In February's Subway 400, Mayfield started in 21st place. An accident on lap 157 forced him to bring the No. 19 Dodge Intrepid R/T in for repairs several times under the caution flag. The Dew Crew worked efficiently to repair the damage that was sustained to most of the car's body. Mayfield battled on the track to maintain position for the remainder of the day and finished in 29th place.
* In last week's race at Atlanta, Mayfield started the day in 26th place and managed to avoid major damage to his No. 19 Dodge Intrepid R/T after the No. 43 car spun next to him. Mayfield was working through race traffic when the red flag for rain was issued. When the race resumed, Mayfield reported that he needed to tighten his No. 19 Dodge Intrepid R/T. On lap 69 he sat in 23rd place. For the remainder of the race the Dew Crew made the necessary adjustments requested by Mayfield, due in part to changing track conditions, to improve the handling of his Dodge Intrepid R/T. Mayfield ended the day in 27th place.
* Mayfield is in the top-25 in the points standings for the fifth consecutive week. He is in 25th place with 3,057 points, 29 points out of the next spot and 278 points out of 20th place.
* Mayfield's second-place run this year at Las Vegas was his best run at the track and his best overall finish since the 2000 Pennzoil 400 at Homestead-Miami where he finished second. The finish also qualified Mayfield for the Winston No Bull 5 $1 million bonus during the May race in Charlotte.
* Coming into the 2002 season, Mayfield had 237 starts, with six poles (two at Talladega and one at Darlington, Dover, Rockingham, and Texas), three wins (two at Pocono and one at California), 33 top-fives and 58 top-10s. His most recent win came at Pocono in June of 2000.