Hollywood Video to sponsor Craven at Las Vegas By Shawn A. Akers LAS VEGAS (Feb. 25, 1999) Hollywood Video, which has sponsored the No. 58 SBIII Motorsports Ford, with driver Ricky Craven, for the first two NASCAR Winston Cup Series races this...
Hollywood Video to sponsor Craven at Las Vegas By Shawn A. Akers
LAS VEGAS (Feb. 25, 1999) Hollywood Video, which has sponsored the No. 58 SBIII Motorsports Ford, with driver Ricky Craven, for the first two NASCAR Winston Cup Series races this season, will be on the car once again next weekend for the second annual Las Vegas 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Hollywood Video will also sponsor Craven in next Friday's NASCAR Winston West Series Orleans 150. The company's sponsorship intentions beyond the Las Vegas races are still unknown at this time, but team owner Scott Barbour remains positive about Hollywood Video's relationship with the team.
"I've gotten positive feedback from Hollywood Video on our performance in Daytona," Barbour said. "They are evaluating the program and want to make sure that NASCAR compliments their marketing plans."
Hollywood Video, owned by parent company Hollywood Entertainment Corp., is the world's second-largest chain of home video superstores and is one of the fastest-growing retail chains of any kind in the country.
Craven and the SBIII Motorsports team, in their initial season in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series, have fulfilled their objectives for the first two races, at Daytona and the Dura-Lube/Big Kmart 400 at North Carolina Speedway in Rockingham. They have qualified for both races, for one, and for another, they've come away from each of them with solid runs.
Craven finished 27th in the Daytona 500, then came back last Sunday with a 22nd-place finish at "The Rock." Qualifying well for the first four races is critical since 1998 NWC owner points are used for provisional starting positions. The team had no 1998 owner points so it's imperative it does well through the fourth race, the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway on March 14. At that point, 1999 owner points are used for provisionals.
"With no provisionals to rely on from last year, our goal is to make the first four races and establish enough points to earn provisionals in the event that we need them," said Mike Hillman, crew chief for the No. 58 Ford.
"These are very intense times," Craven said. "Everybody has put a lot of time and effort in to get the cars ready. Each week is a learning experience for us and we are continuously improving on our performance."
Craven himself, in four previous seasons in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series, has never failed to qualify for a NASCAR Winston Cup race. He was able to secure one of the top-36 starting positions at Rockingham in only one round of qualifying, then went on to a solid finish in the Dura-Lube/Big Kmart 400.
Last year, Craven finished 27th in the inaugural Las Vegas 400 while driving the No. 50 Budweiser Chevrolet for Hendrick Motorsports.
Source: NASCAR Online