Driver: Jeremy Mayfield Team Director: Kenny Francis Team Owner: Ray Evernham Chassis: No. 19 Car Info: Top finish of fifth -- Richmond (5/5/02) JEREMY MAYFIELD...
Driver: Jeremy Mayfield
Team Director: Kenny Francis
Team Owner: Ray Evernham
Chassis: No. 19
Car Info: Top finish of fifth -- Richmond (5/5/02)
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
"I'm pretty exited about heading out to Richmond. I like Richmond. We finished second the last time we were there, and we've always run good. I'm excited about the racetrack since they've repaved it for us, and we think it might be a little bit faster for us this time around. It's going to be a great race, and we're really going in there hoping to have a shot to win the thing. It's hard to know exactly what will be different since they've redone the surface of the racetrack. They're taking the same tires that we ran at Bristol this year, so there shouldn't be any tire problems. Plus, it always helps any time you you're coming off an off-weekend. It gives you a chance to regroup, gather your thoughts and figure out what's going on."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT RICHMOND
* Mayfield has made 20 starts at Richmond, with two top-five and five top 10 finishes at the track. He earned both his best finish of second and best start of 10th in the 2003 fall race. Mayfield has never led a lap at Richmond.
ADDING UP THE POINTS
* Mayfield remains 16th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series points standings after California. He is 144 points out of the top 10, and 210 points out of fifth place.
MAYFIELD BEGINS 2004 SEASON IN HIGH GEAR
* After 10 races, Mayfield's average finish (18.30) is eight spots ahead of what it was at this point last year. Mayfield has also earned 257 more points, and ranks 17 positions higher in the points standings than he did heading into Richmond in May of 2003.
No. 19 DEW CREW -- JACKMAN
* Ed Watkins, Jack Man for the No. 19 Dew Crew, will be out for the remainder of the season after suffering injuries to both knees in April. He is replaced by Rick Pennington for this weekend's race at Richmond. Pennington also subbed as Jack Man for the team at Talladega and California.
LAST WEEKEND AT CALIFORNIA
* After starting 20th, Mayfield worked through the field and was running in the top five by lap 80. On each pit stop, the No. 19 Dew Crew made minor handling adjustments that allowed Mayfield to continue picking up spots. By lap 140, he was running second and hunting down the leader. He took the lead on lap 142, and spent the remaining 108 laps jockeying with the front five cars for position. As the laps wound down, Mayfield was running third but chasing the second position. However, his Dodge faced the same fuel mileage challenge as teammate Kasey Kahne, and Mayfield was forced to preserve fuel for the finish. His Dodge ran dry with just one lap remaining, and Mayfield finished the day in the 14th spot.