Kasey Kahne Quotes "Going back to Richmond, the first time we were there we didn't race well at all. I had problems in qualifying, and we had to pull a backup out and just never got it right. I learned a lot about the brakes and about these...
Kasey Kahne Quotes
"Going back to Richmond, the first time we were there we didn't race well at all. I had problems in qualifying, and we had to pull a backup out and just never got it right. I learned a lot about the brakes and about these cars on the short tracks. I've definitely got some momentum going into Richmond, and I look forward to being at that racetrack.
"I think our momentum energizes (the team). Everybody here -- the guys building the bodies, painting the cars to the guys building the cars -- there's so many people that work here, every one of them has been excited that I've seen. I think everybody is excited. We're looking forward to going into it this weekend and hopefully having a good run and getting it over with and going on to the next 10.
"I'm definitely looking forward to the final 10 races whether we're in the top 10 or not. I think, obviously, we're going to do everything we can to be in the top 10. When it comes down to it, I think there are six or seven races that we have a great shot at running up front at and a great shot at qualifying well and racing well. Hopefully, we can run better than we did the first time I went to those tracks. I think Evernham Motorsports should be really strong at those races."
STATS & FACTS
KASEY KAHNE AT RICHMOND
* This weekend will mark Kahne's second NASCAR Nextel Cup Series start at Richmond.
* In his first start at Richmond in May, Kahne was forced to race his backup No. 9 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge after sustaining damage to his primary car, (which he'll race this weekend) in qualifying. Kahne started 39th and worked his way up to ninth before contact with another car and a brush with the wall in turn two caused damage to his car midway through the race. Kahne finished 28th.
VYING FOR A SPACE IN NASCAR'S "CHASE"
* After finishing second at California, Kahne moved up two spots from 11th to ninth in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Standings. He is 11 points out of the eighth-place spot, and is just 15 points out of a 400-point automatic berth in NASCAR's Chase for the Nextel Cup.
HOW IT ALL ADDS UP
* Kahne has five top 10s and four top fives in the past seven races (eighth, third, fourth, 14th, fifth, 21st, 2nd).
* Kahne is one of only five drivers to have scored nine or more top-five finishes this season.
* Kahne's four pole positions are two shy of Ryan Newman's record six poles in a rookie season.
RAYBESTOS ROOKIE BESTS
* After 25 races, Kahne has a commanding 84-point lead in the Raybestos Rookie-of-the-Year race.
* Kahne's total of 394 laps led is nearly three times the combined amount of laps led by the five other 2004 Raybestos Rookie-of-the-Year candidates (136). He also has more poles, top fives and top 10s than the combined amount of his Rookie-of-the-Year competitors.
FAST ON FRIDAYS
* Kahne earned his fourth pole (Las Vegas, Darlington, California and Pocono) and his second track qualifying record (Las Vegas, Pocono) at Pocono in June.
* Evernham Motorsports has set three track qualifying records this season (Kahne -- Las Vegas and Pocono (a), Mayfield -- Dover).
* Kahne tied Art Watts (1957) for the quickest any driver has reached four career poles -- 14 races.