Jeremy Mayfield Quotes "We tested (at Richmond) and had a great test. We've got to go in there and roll off the truck fast, be fast in practice and qualifying. We've got to do a lot of good stuff to overcome this. All you can do is do the best...
Jeremy Mayfield Quotes
"We tested (at Richmond) and had a great test. We've got to go in there and roll off the truck fast, be fast in practice and qualifying. We've got to do a lot of good stuff to overcome this. All you can do is do the best you can and at the end of the night know we did all we can do. I want to be able to leave Richmond saying we did all we could do and we had the best of everything and that we had good stops all night and nobody made mistakes. Maybe you'll know you did everything you could do that night anyway. We had a great test there, and the car ran really good. That's all you can do, try to lead every lap and do everything you can. Hopefully at the end of the night you're in the top 10 in the points.
"It's not every day you get a chance to get in the top 10 in this kind of sport. It's a tough season. It's tough all the way around. We've got a lot of good competitors. We've got the opportunity and just let it fly right by you. That's what (upsets) you. It's not over yet, but we've got to perform this week. If it gets by, we've got to get prepared for next year. Maybe it'll make us a better race team, but you don't get this opportunity very often."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT RICHMOND
* Mayfield has made 21 starts at Richmond, with two top-five and five top 10 finishes at the track. He earned both his best finish of second and best start of 10th in the 2003 fall race. Mayfield led his first 22 laps led at Richmond in May.
RACING FOR 'THE CHASE'
* Mayfield moves to 14th in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series standings after racing at California. He is just 55 points out of the 10th place spot and 75 points out of eighth.
* Mayfield is 79 points out of the 400-point cutoff for an automatic berth in the Chase for the Nextel Cup.
* A mere 76 points separates eighth place in the points standings from 15th place.
WHAT A TURNAROUND
* Mayfield is one of NASCAR's most improved drivers in the Cup Series so far this season. His current rank of 14th is 13 positions better than where he stood at this point last year.