Richmond International Raceway News and Notes * Blaney's No. 22 Camry...The Caterpillar Racing team plans to use Chassis No. 17 this weekend at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway. This is the same car that carried Dave Blaney to an ...
Richmond International Raceway News and Notes
* Blaney's No. 22 Camry...The Caterpillar Racing team plans to use Chassis No. 17 this weekend at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway. This is the same car that carried Dave Blaney to an 11th-place finish at RIR in May. The team also tested this car at Iowa Speedway several weeks ago.
* Blaney's Career Stats...Blaney hopes to make his 259th career NASCAR Nextel Cup Series start when the green flag waves Saturday evening. He made his first career Cup Series start in October 1992 at [Rockingham] North Carolina Speedway and drove his Bill Davis Racing-owned entry to a 34th-place finish (qualified 32nd) in his first Cup Series start at the .75-mile track in Richmond.
* Blaney at Richmond International Raceway...Blaney has made 14 starts on the Richmond-area track during his Cup Series career, starting as high as third and finishing as high as fourth. He has scored two top-10 finishes in Cup Series competition at the track and has qualified in the top 15 on four occasions. Blaney drove the Cat machine to a fourth-place finish last year. It was the second-highest finish of his career.
* BDR at RIR...Competitors driving Bill Davis Racing-owned cars have been racing at the Richmond area track since 1993 and have made 38 starts. Those drivers have posted one top five finish, six top-10 finishes and have completed 14,851 of 15,186 possible laps (97.8 percent). A BDR entry has also sat on the pole in Richmond twice.
* Moving on up...The Caterpillar Racing team fell from the coveted 35th place in the owners' point standings after experiencing engine problems last weekend at California Speedway. The team now stands just outside the 35th spot, four points behind the No. 21 team.
* Richmond's Broadcast Schedule...Qualifying for Saturday evening's event is scheduled for Friday, Sept. 7. The 400-lap event is scheduled to start at 7:40 p.m. ET Saturday, Sept. 8, and will broadcast LIVE on ABC (TV), MRN (radio) and Sirius Satellite Radio.
* Two Days of Testing...Like many of their Cup Series competitors, Blaney and the Caterpillar Racing team will spend next Monday and Tuesday testing a Car of Tomorrow (COT) at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway.
Dave Blaney's thoughts on Richmond..."We've been looking forward to getting back to Richmond since the second we left in the spring. We had a strong car all weekend, and we ran well all night, which is exactly what we need to do again this time around. We fell out of the top 35 after the race last weekend in Fontana, and that's extremely disappointing. We knew going into that race that we had a shot of not only solidifying our place in the top 35, but also catching and passing several guys ahead of us if we didn't have problems and wind up beating ourselves. Unfortunately, that's what happened, but we feel really good about what we think we can do this weekend in Richmond. I can't think of any place we'd rather be going to get back on track, get the momentum going back in the right direction and get back into the top 35."