Dale Jr. Quotes for Richmond "This is one of the tracks where I always look forward to getting there and racing. As a team, we have always done well at this place, from the Busch Series right into Winston Cup. Plus, I'm always ready for a ...
Dale Jr. Quotes for Richmond
"This is one of the tracks where I always look forward to getting there and racing. As a team, we have always done well at this place, from the Busch Series right into Winston Cup. Plus, I'm always ready for a night race because they seem to suit me better. We qualified great here in May (2nd) and were really fast during the first part of the race before the rains came. (The first segment of the race was run on Saturday night, then rain delayed the remainder of the race until Sunday afternoon.) We were junk during the day. We struggled with the tires and the sealer on the track, and well, I think the conditions should be better this weekend."
"I thought we were going to win this one last year. We were in third place and the 29 (Kevin Harvick) and the 28 (Ricky Rudd) cars were beating on each other big time. I was kind of hoping they'd take each other out and I'd just slide on by with a wave. I went over to Victory Lane and congratulated Ricky he had a big ol' surprised look on his face. That night is an example of fun racing. Yeah, I wanted to win, but you have to be happy when the car is good and team keeps you in contention all night long. If we're competitive and have a shot at the win is when I'm happiest out there, and we sure need to get back to having that opportunity each week."
Dale Jr. has been fantastic at Richmond, starting with two victories in the Busch Series. His first Winston Cup race there in 1999 resulted in the first top-10 finish for the No. 8 Budweiser team, and then they followed that up with a sparkling victory in May, 2000. It was the second win for Dale Jr. in only his 16th Winston Cup start, which tied him with Davey Allison as the quickest multi-race winners in NASCAR Winston Cup's modern era. In his first six Cup races at Richmond, he has recorded four top-10 finishes. Night time racing is an occasional thing on the Cup circuit, but Dale Jr. has recorded three of his victories under the lights: Richmond (May, 2000), Charlotte (the Winston, May, 2000) and Daytona (July, 2001).
Is a "Speedo" the Logical Choice for a Race Car Driver?
In the July/August issue of Sports Illustrated for Women, more than 15,000 female readers were polled to determine what male athlete they would like to see in a swim suit. Dale Jr. (tan or not) ranked seventh in the voting. Apparently he needs to take up skating of some sort to move up the list next year:
1. Apolo Anton Ohno - speed skater / best name and the best soul patch*
on the list
2. Alexei Yagudin - figure skater / apparently a four-time world champion
3. Derek Jeter - baseball / Yankee babe magnet
4. Patrick Rafter - tennis / Big-serving Aussie heart-throb
5. David Pelletier - figure skater / could there be any judging scandals here?
6. Landon Donovan - soccer / looks like the MLS San Jose Earthquake fans vote in blocks
7. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. - driver no. 8 / Ladies love the smell of Budweiser and Drakkar Noir
8. Sergei Federov - hockey / Russian star beloved in Detroit, a.k.a. Hockeytown
9. Eric Lindros - hockey / very popular in the concussion wards of several hospitals
10. Mike Piazza - baseball / commercials with ALF
(*for all you kids who don't know, a "soul patch" is the tuft of hair from the lower lip to the chin)