Richard Childress reflects on home invasion, Danica Patrick
Richard Childress has had a month to reflect on the December 17th break-in at his primary residence in Davidson County, N.C.
Childress, a big game hunter and owner of Richard Childress Racing, told motorsport.com that the incident wasn’t the most frightening moment of his life.
The NASCAR Hall of Famer said he was more concerned for his wife of 52-years, Judy, than he was for himself.
“I’ve had a few more in Africa that would have got you…it was terrifying,” Childress said. “I’m not taking anything away from it. It was very intense. It got very intense. I was more concerned about my wife than myself.”
Childress, who has an extensive gun collection and is second vice president of the NRA, would not disclose the caliber of gun he used on the three robbery suspects.
“I can’t talk about it right now because it’s in the courts,” Childress said. “But catch me a little later.”
Childress would not confirm or deny the possibility of Danica Patrick driving a car from his stable in the Daytona 500. It has been speculated that Patrick would pilot the No. 27 Chevrolet in the Great American Race.
“I’m not sure about that yet,” Childress said. “I can’t comment on that.”
When asked whether Patrick’s 500 ride could have a Childress engine, he replied, “She will, definitely, maybe, probably, could, you never know.”
Tommy Baldwin was the latest (former) team owner whose name was bantered about as a possibility to fill the NASCAR end of the “Danica Double." Patrick ran her first 10 races for Baldwin in 2012 before racing full-time for Stewart-Haas Racing.
Baldwin, who currently works for Premium Motorsports, offered a “no comment” to motorsport.com on Friday.
Danica Patrick claims last year in NASCAR “felt like a grind”
Emotional night at the NASCAR Hall as five legends are inducted