JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES "I don't know what it is about Pocono, but it's been a great track for me over the years. The victory in 2000 is memorable ...passing Earnhardt (the late Dale Earnhardt, Sr.) on the final lap to take the win. That was...
JEREMY MAYFIELD QUOTES
"I don't know what it is about Pocono, but it's been a great track for me over the years. The victory in 2000 is memorable ...passing Earnhardt (the late Dale Earnhardt, Sr.) on the final lap to take the win. That was special. Earnhardt wasn't passed for the win on the final lap of a race too often.
"The turns are totally different than anywhere we race. You have to set up the car much differently than you do for an oval. You have to make sacrifices in one area of the track to get the car through the corner in another. For some reason I have adapted to the situation and get around the track well.
"We're really looking forward to the race at Pocono. It's a track we should do well at and continue our push into the top 10 in the season point standings. We finished second in this race last year and had another top 10 finish in the second race at Pocono. We certainly expect to do well at Pocono and, hopefully, this is our week to move into the top 10 in the standings."
STATS & FACTS
JEREMY MAYFIELD AT POCONO
* This weekend will mark Mayfield's 22nd career start at Pocono Raceway. He has won twice at the track in the June races of 1998 and 2000. He has earned four top fives, nine top 10s, and has led six races for a total of 187 laps led.
* Mayfield earned his best starting position at the track (third) en route to his 1998 victory.
A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE FIELD
* Mayfield is the only driver to have started and finished the last two Pocono races within the top 10. He started seventh and finished second last June, and started and finished ninth in the August race.
HISTORY OF VICTORY
* Mayfield posted his first career Cup Series victory at Pocono Raceway, June 1, 1998 in his 125th career start. Mayfield passed Darrell Waltrip for the lead with 20 laps to go in the race, and his 132 laps led were the most of any driver on that day.
SLUGGER LABBE UPDATE
* Labbe returned to the EMS shop on Tuesday after being diagnosed with Rocky Mountain spotted fever by NASCAR medical staff last weekend at Dover. Labbe says his body is very sore, and that he's had extremely severe headaches since Sunday. However, he says the treatment he's taking is working, and he's planning to atop the No. 19 pitbox this weekend at Pocono.
MOVING UP THE CHARTS
* After racing at Dover Mayfield gained another spot in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series point standings to 12th, just 36 points outside of the top 10 and 68 points from the fifth position.
* Mayfield and the No. 19 Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge Charger team are scheduled to test at Carolina Motorsports Park, in Kershaw, S.C., next Thursday, April 16. The team will use the test to prepare for the June 26 roadcourse race at Infineon Raceway.