* Ryan Newman, driver of the Penske Racing No. 12 Avis Dodge Charger, has one win, two pole positions, five top-five and six top-10 finishes in 13 NASCAR Cup Series starts at Pocono Raceway. * Newman is currently 16th in the 2008 NASCAR Cup...
* Ryan Newman, driver of the Penske Racing No. 12 Avis Dodge Charger, has one win, two pole positions, five top-five and six top-10 finishes in 13 NASCAR Cup Series starts at Pocono Raceway.
* Newman is currently 16th in the 2008 NASCAR Cup Series driver point standings, 144 points out 12th place.
* Newman started 27th and finished 18th at the first 2008 Cup Series race at Pocono in June.
* The Sunoco Red Cross Pennsylvania 500 at Pocono Raceway is the first and only race this year that Avis has served as the primary sponsor for the No. 12 Dodge.
* Newman is one of nine drivers to win a race at Pocono Raceway from the pole position. In July 2003, Newman started on the pole, led 88 of 200 laps and won the Pennsylvania 500.
* In 2000, Newman won the ARCA race at Pocono in only the second stock car start of his career.
* This week, the No. 12 Avis Dodge pit crew traveled to Victory Junction Gang Camp in Randleman, N.C., to take part in NASCARnival Nights. As part of the event, the No. 12 pit crew did a pit stop demonstration for the 125 campers. The pit crew also participated in the night's "Beach Blast"-themed activities -- they took turns in the dunking tank, played with water guns and just enjoyed time with the campers.
RYAN NEWMAN QUOTES ON:
RACING AT POCONO: "The straightaways at Pocono are so long, you need to get all of the speed down them that you can so your car can come off of turn three as fast as possible. I've always liked the uniqueness of the three different corners and the challenge that it presents to the teams to set up your car to be fast at each of the different ends. Pocono is a driver's track, and that's why I like it so much. We struggled a bit at Pocono when we were here last month, but during the race we were able to get the balance of the car just right. I think we have some good notes heading into this weekend, and we are hoping to have a strong showing and another good points weekend."
BATTLING FOR A SPOT IN THE CHASE: "We had a really good points day at Indianapolis, and that's what we need right now. Our goal is to get the No. 12 Dodge into the Chase, and to do what we can to have solid runs without any issues for the next several races. We have to take that mentality and the momentum we have into this weekend's race and have another good one."
ROY MCCAULEY QUOTES ON:
RACING AT POCONO: "Obviously, we hope to improve our performance from the last time we were at Pocono. We got some good experience and some notes that have helped us to prepare for this weekend's race. We had a well-balanced race car in the race and Ryan was able to run up in the top 10, but we had some other issues. From what we learned at that race, we have a different outlook on how the car is setup and run, and hopefully the changes we made will give us better race speed this time around and will help us to maintain the balance that we had in the first race."
MAKING GAINS ON THE CHASE: "We wanted a better finish at Indy than what we had, but we did make good gains on the Chase. You have to take the opportunities to make those gain when we can. We finished the race and that was very important. This past weekend helped us a lot as far as keeping us in contention. I know that the guys are not giving up. That has been our motto on year. And every little bit of a booster helps."
PRS-555: The team's primary car No. 12 Avis Dodge raced earlier this year at Charlotte in the Coca-Cola 600 (finished 21st).
PRS-552: The backup No. 12 Avis Dodge served as the team's primary car at Las Vegas (finished 15th) and at Darlington (finished 37th) earlier this year. It was also the backup car at Texas, Chicagoland and Indianapolis.
GOING ON NOW: Ryan Newman fans can place bids for special autographed items in the Alltel Racing online charity auction at www.alltelracing.com. Net proceeds will benefit the Ryan Newman Foundation.
-credit: penske racing